The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Caporegime
For me, I want to scratch the FF itch again next year, but I will keep my Olympus. My intention is to get a A7R3, wide angle and a telephoto and thats it (famous last words) to have as a pure landscape setup for photo trips, days etc. Then Olympus for general travelling, my "pick up and go to" camera.

What it comes down to is that I REALLY like it. I like the format, the lenses, the prices etc.

Caporegime
For me, I want to scratch the FF itch again next year, but I will keep my Olympus. My intention is to get a A7R3, wide angle and a telephoto and thats it (famous last words) to have as a pure landscape setup for photo trips, days etc. Then Olympus for general travelling, my "pick up and go to" camera.

What it comes down to is that I REALLY like it. I like the format, the lenses, the prices etc.

I wouldn’t mind Pany FF, especially if I can use existing m43 glass with an adaptor. I suspect it won’t compete on price though with the other players, especially if deeply tied in with Leica.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wouldn’t mind Pany FF, especially if I can use existing m43 glass with an adaptor. I suspect it won’t compete on price though with the other players.
You've hit a good point there which I have been wondering. If say Olympus & Pana are making FF mirrorless cameras, is it even possible to fit m43 lenses via some swanky adapter?

Or does physics take over at this point?

Caporegime
You've hit a good point there which I have been wondering. If say Olympus & Pana are making FF mirrorless cameras, is it even possible to fit m43 lenses via some swanky adapter?

It’s possible but I’ve seen people suggest Pana FF will be based on Leica’s FF L-mount which doesn’t leave enough space for an adapter. If it’s a new mount it’s doable.

You’d lose a lot of resolution.

Soldato

Bigger image circle requires bigger optics.
That's why other mirrorless systems don't really have that much of difference in size of lenses to lenses made for mirror systems.

Soldato
https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-the-ne...nced-in-january-and-feature-a-new-mft-sensor/

So it is probable that m4/3 will continue to live on as a format at least through Olympus.

We'll have to wait a few weeks to find out if Panasonic will abandon the system, let's hope not and let's hope they continue to work with Olympus.

It seems like a huge wake up and shake up in the photography field. Damn them smart phones!

Caporegime
https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-the-ne...nced-in-january-and-feature-a-new-mft-sensor/

So it is probable that m4/3 will continue to live on as a format at least through Olympus.

We'll have to wait a few weeks to find out if Panasonic will abandon the system, let's hope not and let's hope they continue to work with Olympus.

It seems like a huge wake up and shake up in the photography field. Damn them smart phones!

The global shutter organic sensor is going to be MFT and released in a body by Panasonic before the 2020 olympic games so there is a long life left in MFT yet

Soldato
So I got my G80 and I like it, I've got the kit lens and I went for the cheap option of a 7artisans 25mm which I picked up for £45 new and I'm enjoying using it more than the kit lens due to the great bokeh and I like the manual focusing

I want some more lenses though, I'm currently looking at 45mm 1.8 Olympus and 20mm 1.7 Panny

Do I need these though ? the 45mm I'm more certain about for portraits and looking at reviews of it all day I like the look from the lens, the 20mm I'm not so sure as it's only 5mm less than the 25mm so would I be better going for something wider to compliment the lens collection ? I had considered Sigma 19mm 2.8 too but the more stops on the Panny made me go against it despite the price being better

Or would I be better going for something larger like 45-150 panny ?

Caporegime
Really it always comes down to what you're shooting. At first, it can really feel like it's a new thing so you NEED to buy something. My advice would be to just use it for a few more weeks and see what you're trying to shoot and what lens would compliment that best.

Often I've seen those new to the hobby (apologies if you're not new btw) and feel like they need to cover the whole lens range. Which more often than not, is not necessary.

I shoot 90% landscape. So for me a wide angle is ideal most of the time. I will get a telephoto eventually but money needs to go elsewhere right now.

Soldato
Often I've seen those new to the hobby (apologies if you're not new btw) and feel like they need to cover the whole lens range. Which more often than not, is not necessary.

Yeah I'm a total noob although learning quickly, I wanted the lenses because I want to shoot a wide variety of different things from portrait to landscape to products to even some macro (putting off getting a macro until I get better though)

Caporegime
Yeah I'm a total noob although learning quickly, I wanted the lenses because I want to shoot a wide variety of different things from portrait to landscape to products to even some macro (putting off getting a macro until I get better though)

I’ve got a fair few lenses and having discovered the Oly 12-40 F2.8 I just use that for the majority of my shooting.

The Oly 45mm F1.8 is a nice, small, fast and cheap lens and a no brainer if you can get one cheap. The Pany 42.5mm F1.7 is a better lens on a Pany body though, it has optical stabilisation and a much close minumum focus distance, but it’s a fair bit more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 12-60 is a really decent starting lens. Personally I think a portrait prime would be your next lens unless landscape is your priority.

I dislike the 9-18mm Oly, I don’t even know why, I have it and just never use it - I don’t like it’s picture quality or how it handles.

Back
Top Bottom