The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Caporegime
Guys, I am confused about Olympus and their current stand in the camera market.

I know they have technically excited the camera market and sold their digital camera business to another company. But does this mean they're stopping production of their cameras and lenses? Or is the company which bought it going to continue producing/selling Olympus cameras?

Do people think the residual value of Oly gear will go through the floor?

Personally I will keep using my EM5M2 until the day it dies but I am not so sure I would want to invest anything further into the Oly system at the moment, or in the future.

Discuss!

Soldato
Nobody knows @Phate , according to JIP (the company who bought Oly) they're still going ahead, the latest 100-400mm lens is still getting a release and the other lenses that were in the pipeline are also reported to get released but after that, who knows I guess it all depends on how well those new lenses fare

Roadmap says yes

web_lens-roadmap_200629_en.jpg

I'm looking at getting the 60mm Macro when it goes on sale but looking at roadmap, maybe I should wait for the Pro version ?

Caporegime
Interesting, thanks Minusorange. I guess its too early to tell and will wait for JIP to comment further. It might be they're going to release those lenses due to already so far into development to try and recoup some cost?

I'd love an EM5M3 - but at this stage, I don't think it's a good idea to purchase.

Soldato
I'd love an EM5M3 - but at this stage, I don't think it's a good idea to purchase.

There are numerous reports of a the tripod mount breaking on the EM5M3, check DPReview. Unless this is addressed and fixed or a service program for the issue I'd stay away and see if the EM1M3 is a better suit, if your budget can stretch to it.

I'd wait till the end of the year and see what JIP do or if they make any major announcements.

Caporegime
Ah I didn't know that, thanks!

Like I say, I'll use my EM5M2 until it dies. I could be tempted to switch back to FF at that stage, it will really depend on whats going on with Olympus/JIP at the time

Soldato
It's been a while since anyone has posted here, has the M43 system finally died as some predicted 2-3 years ago?

Both OM Digital and Panasonic have recently said they are still committed to M43 and to expect new lenses and gear. And on that note, I've just picked up a Panasonic G9. For my needs this system ticks all the boxes.

Panasonic: https://www.43rumors.com/great-news...t-fast-primes-are-in-the-works-along-the-gh6/

OM Digital: https://www.43rumors.com/om-digital...ing-flagship-model-will-be-announced-in-2021/

This is not a FF vs, APS-C vs M43 post, so don't start.

Soldato
been out of the photography game a while now, looking at picking up a small m43 system which wont break the bank. anyone got any recommendations? 2nd hand is fine.

Soldato
been out of the photography game a while now, looking at picking up a small m43 system which wont break the bank. anyone got any recommendations? 2nd hand is fine.

The Panasonic GX80 or GX9 or the Olympus EM10 Mark III are more than great starter cameras.

The Panasonic 12-32 is usually supplied with the GX80 and GX9 and is a gem of a lens for a "kit lens"

Back
Top Bottom