• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Voucher Code Will Not Work

Soldato
Not against the voucher code idea at all. I thought it was great as ive finally been able to get a 3070. I think the MM access idea was great. Ive bought all my gpu's either from ocuk direct or via the used marketplace every time ive upgraded over the past 15 years. I wanted to pick up a 3070 for more grunt at 3440x1440 and despite being on all the discord groups and stock alert pages ive not managed to get one since they launched.

Now i have. So thanks OCUK and thanks for caring about us.

Soldato
Posting the codes to the members market has demonstrated that those who have access to the MM can be trusted (on the whole, there have still been a couple of naughty people but they were caught and banned and overall much less of an issue than public codes).

As a bonus it rids the MM of them so it's not all a loss. It was never meant to fully prevent scalping but I think it has worked vastly better.

There were still 3070's available a few days after it was posted, which showed that the fact we could buy it and sell it off for a quick profit, and we (mostly) didn't, that was a very good indication of it working well.

Associate
This one is an easy one. A few bots have spent £10k too when they bought without entering a voucher code. Spending £10k means absolutely nothing.

And your point about 'wanting to make money' also means nothing. These cards are selling out instantly to bots and scalpers. They may as well be sold over a slightly longer window of a few minutes to real people instead to avoid exacerbating the issue.
Then implement 20 captchas
Not really - OCUK tried a public code and it was leaked and exploited by bots/scalpers.

Posting the codes to the members market has demonstrated that those who have access to the MM can be trusted (on the whole, there have still been a couple of naughty people but they were caught and banned and overall much less of an issue than public codes).

All of the voucher code cards have gone - there is still plenty of demand among MM members and a lot of us are waiting for better cards than the 3060/6700/3070s.

Stop being salty that those who have chosen to contribute to making this one of the best tech forums have been rewarded for doing so and you have not.
I am salty, so would you be, buying from on Etailer and "contributing" on a forum should be 2 entirely different things.

I apologise if I'm coming across roudy, I've been a very long time since I've been able to use my PC and the only site that gets stock regularly it seems has an aweful system for genuine buyers who want to use the card to play games.

Again, I say aweful in regards to genuine buyers, I know there's not a lot that can be done to filter buyers and bots etc other than complex captchas, manually checking every order.

I'll get a card, just annoying it can't be sooner.

And regards to the 10+ cards still available it's the Gigabyte Master 3070 that's listed for £5k

Edit: 15 post limit up... So I'll say this, all your replies are really contributing to the forum aren't they, great idea

Last edited:
Soldato

I am salty, so would you be, buying from on Etailer and "contributing" on a forum should be 2 entirely different things.

I'm sure the bots can bypass the captchas if they really wanted to, so it's a weak way of protecting it. The click an image style one is harder but then you can pay for them to be done by humans cheaply I believe.

Whether the two things are different are beside the question. Having the cards open to the public would result in you still having little to no chance of getting one, and add to that genuine gamers would be beaten to it too. It's the nature of the limited stock situation. Any normal supply wouldn't need this but with all the mining and scalpers teaming up and limited stock, it's a better system.

Soldato

I apologise if I'm coming across roudy, I've been a very long time since I've been able to use my PC and the only site that gets stock regularly it seems has an aweful system for genuine buyers who want to use the card to play games.

Again, I say aweful in regards to genuine buyers, I know there's not a lot that can be done to filter buyers and bots etc other than complex captchas, manually checking every order.

And regards to the 10+ cards still available it's the Gigabyte Master 3070 that's listed for £5k

They're working on a new site which will handle it better as far as I'm aware. It's not as easy as 'whack 20 captchas' in lol otherwise they'd have done it I'm sure. In the meanwhile until it's ready this is the best solution.

The weather is scorching, the euros are on, go grab an ice cream and a beer, watch the game and chill.

You don't want to be in a room with a pc using a few hundred watts while gaming ATM without air con anyway.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I am salty, so would you be

I can't get the graphics card I want from OCUK either, and you don't seem me crying on the forums about it. It's just a graphics card. I can be patient about it.

Oh yeah, I missed that one. But 750 quid for a 3070? No thanks.

That's the other thing with most members who have access to the MM - we're quite savvy so aren't going to get sucked into a bad deal just because cards are hard to get.

Soldato

Not really, if the owners feel this is the best way and to give back to those who have contributed to the community how is that a bad thing? It ensures gamers get the cards and stops scalpers from buying them up while allowing long term members who have contributed to this community to actually buy one. I don't see it as a bad thing at all...

If it was open to the public again, i guarantee Discord would light up and everyone scalper or not would be buying them up to resell. It's happened before, code got leaked and the site crashed so regardless your chances of getting a card would have been next to none and OCUK would have oversold and be spending time refunding people.

Soldato
I can't get the graphics card I want from OCUK either, and you don't seem me crying on the forums about it. It's just a graphics card. I can be patient about it.

Oh yeah, I missed that one. But 750 quid for a 3070? No thanks.

That's the other thing with most members who have access to the MM - we're quite savvy so aren't going to get sucked into a bad deal just because cards are hard to get.
I like Savvy :cry::D

Associate
Someone with 10,000 posts on these forums could have bought 1 motherboard 7 years ago, whilst someone who doesn't use the forums may have an office business who's spent 10s of thousands in the same time

A person who has 10,000 posts is much more likely to have assisted other forum members over that time, as opposed to just coming on here to whine like some seem to be joining to do. And how many more times do people have to be told that it isn't technically possible for OCUK to measure eligibility through past purchases? That can't happen because over those years, not everyone will have had their forum account linked to their purchase account. That one fact alone means that doing it that way would be far more flawed than an actual post count.

You might not like it, but that's how it is. I'd have liked a 30 series card too, but I ain't paying these prices for a graphics card. If that means I don't get one, so be it. I'll just go outside instead, it's summer.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

A person who has 10,000 posts is much more likely to have assisted other forum members over that time, as opposed to just coming on here to whine like some seem to be joining to do. And how many more times do people have to be told that it isn't technically possible for OCUK to measure eligibility through past purchases? That can't happen because over those years, not everyone will have had their forum account linked to their purchase account. That one fact alone means that doing it that way would be far more flawed than an actual post count.

You might not like it, but that's how it is. I'd have liked a 30 series card too, but I ain't paying these prices for a graphics card. If that means I don't get one, so be it. I'll just go outside instead, it's summer.

Exactly - people like @DanzP can't seem to get their head round the fact that the codes aren't there to reward past customers, it's to reward active forum members who also happen to be past customers.

If they don't like it, there are plenty of competitors they can't buy a card from :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Associate
I just found out about that voucher code system and I think its amazing idea.
I would love to buy a 3070 (don't have good GPU for a year now:().

I think that apart from having 1000 posts etc, OCUK could check accounts and see if someone was a loyal customer, for example bought many items in a long period of time, so it would suggest that its not a scammer/miner or whatever. Someone who has been with OCUK for a long time - on a forum and on shop.
I don't have 1000 posts and I don't want to now quickly spam forum to get to that point (and get banned of course), I just would like to have an opportunity to buy a card by being an honest customer. I've been with OCUK for like 13 years or so. I hope OCUK will come up with some good verification process so we all old gamers could get a card :)

Commissario
Any updates on this gpu deal section yet?
We will post when it's done, that might be in a few days it might be weeks, as there are several possible causes and we're somewhat limited in how and when we try different potential fixes.

Rest assured we want the GPU deal section fixed and will make an announcement/thread when it is, before any deal goes live in the GPU deals section.

I think that apart from having 1000 posts etc, OCUK could check accounts and see if someone was a loyal customer, for example bought many items in a long period of time, so it would suggest that its not a scammer/miner or whatever. Someone who has been with OCUK for a long time - on a forum and on shop.
Unfortunately that would require an absolutely massive amount of man power and going by what scotti B and gibbo have said probably not viable especially with the store being as busy as it is at the moment and them already trying to deal with the graphics cards updates etc .:(

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly, I'm finding it very hard to believe that a simple fair system of sending out an email with unique code to allow purchases to anyone who's spent anything in the past with them, I.e. spent a few grand over past 5 years, send an email inviting them with a code.

Forget the forum, you can be a member without spending a cent on the business... I assume there is an email associated with each past purchase so isn't exactly difficult.

I do want to spend more money with this business and I am a genuine buyer but not a mentalist on posting stuff nowadays, so any deals currently exclude me

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Honestly, I'm finding it very hard to believe that a simple fair system of sending out an email with unique code to allow purchases to anyone who's spent anything in the past with them, I.e. spent a few grand over past 5 years, send an email inviting them with a code.

Easier said than done (coming from an experienced web developer). OCUK don't currently have a web development team to implement such a system.

Associate
We will post when it's done, that might be in a few days it might be weeks, as there are several possible causes and we're somewhat limited in how and when we try different potential fixes.

Rest assured we want the GPU deal section fixed and will make an announcement/thread when it is, before any deal goes live in the GPU deals section.

Unfortunately that would require an absolutely massive amount of man power and going by what scotti B and gibbo have said probably not viable especially with the store being as busy as it is at the moment and them already trying to deal with the graphics cards updates etc .:(

Well, I guess it could be done by a simple check of a user account - total spent in OCUK shop, years on forum etc and once confirmed, send a voucher code.
Maybe I'm wrong, I dont know, just a thought.

Soldato
Mass emailing links would just mean that a random group of previous customers could buy cards. They might still choose to scalp those cards. I don't understand why everyone is bandying this phrase "loyal customer" about when AFAICT the scheme is aimed at forum community members not customers.

Not to mention the data/privacy implications. You can't just run a search "oh who spends lots of money, let's email them". That doesn't really work in 2021.

So much misinterpreted information being made up and then repeated all over this thread and the wider forum.

Back
Top Bottom