The wife did it again!

Soldato
Joined
9 Aug 2004
Posts
7,795
Location
Milton Keynes
Only just realised as the car was in for its MOT (again :( ) that the wifes managed to get a garage to put a pair of incorrectly rated tyres. Vectra says H but they are T's, so I guess I need to change them?

If I do can I sell them and where/how much would I get for them (a pair of part worn Goodyear GT2's)?

Also is £190 a good deal for 4x NCT5's or is there something better for the same price level?

And Lastly how much would a new bumper be (roughly scrappy price - dont want to get ripped) as shes hit a post :(
 

POB

POB

Soldato
Joined
27 May 2003
Posts
5,948
Location
Its a Small World
ste_bla said:
Also is £190 a good deal for 4x NCT5's or is there something better for the same price level?

I've been getting good life from NCT5s about 30k on a front set so I'm happy with them.

I have paid about £60 a corner for 205/55 R16.
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
8,016
Providing the tyre sizes are matched on an axle and not worn, they won't care what speed rating the tyres are.

H tyres are rated for 118mph, T are 130mph. If she rarely goes over a ton, then I wouldn't really worry until they wear down.
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
8,016
Oh, I've just re-read, and the Vectra recommends H rated (118) and you've got T rated (130) on there? It might have been an issue if it was the other way round (you'd gone to lower speed rated tyres)

Still shouldn't be an issue - it would be very, very picky for the insurance company to say anything regarding the tyres.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
9 Aug 2004
Posts
7,795
Location
Milton Keynes
ConfusedTA said:
Oh, I've just re-read, and the Vectra recommends H rated (118) and you've got T rated (130) on there? It might have been an issue if it was the other way round (you'd gone to lower speed rated tyres)

Still shouldn't be an issue - it would be very, very picky for the insurance company to say anything regarding the tyres.

I've got T - 118mph and it should have H - 130mph
 
Man of Honour
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
159,815
Sagalout said:
Unless the tyres failed because of speed in excess of 118 the insurance cant say anything.

Not strictly true. The max speed rating is not the tyre you need to do that speed. It simply says that are they tested to sustain that speed for 10 minutes. Therefore it would follow that a T rated 118mph tyre would not be suitable for driving at that speed..

The garage should have known better but to be honest what were you thinking entering a car for an MOT with illegal tyres? I mean you are bound to get shafted for tyres that way. Bet you paid a fortune for them as well
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
9 Aug 2004
Posts
7,795
Location
Milton Keynes
Well the MOT is just a coincidence, I hardly every drive the car but she refused to get the mot done and thats when i noticed.

I'll just leave them on, she doesnt do more than 70 and i never go 100+ due to the likely ban if caught.

[TW]Fox said:
The garage should have known better but to be honest what were you thinking entering a car for an MOT with illegal tyres? I mean you are bound to get shafted for tyres that way. Bet you paid a fortune for them as well

Didnt fail MOT for the tyres last time (2 weeks ago) or this time (different place), the place she got them from are now closed but they only cost £80 for the pair
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom