The Wire

Soldato
While it's a featured article on Wikipedia, I thought I'd bring up the subject of this show.

I've just finished the 3rd season and honestly think its the best show I've ever watched. However I thought that the 3rd season was a little disappointing compared to the 1st and 2nd seasons due to the fact that the Barksdale organistation weren't as prominent in the storylines and also, the was no season long case.

Really looking forward to the 4th season on DVD though, and was wondering who else watches this show?

Soldato
I have watched all 4 seasons and can't wait for the fifth! I most liked the first season, followed by 4th, 3rd and 2nd in that order. Unlike some other TV series such as Lost, I feel like I could watch every episode of The Wire over and over and still be gripped by the plot and characters. There's just lots of different story arcs going on at the same time. In fact I haven't watched it for a few months, thanks for reminding me :D

Soldato
The first 2 seasons are amongst the best of any programme I have watched. The 3rd and 4th aren't quite as good, but still knock the spots off most of the guff out there

Soldato
OP
Big Kev said:
It's a superb series and well worth a watch in anyone's book, although it's not up to the standards of The Shield, then again, nothing is. ;)

Yeah, I keep hearing great reviews about the Shield, I think I'll get the DVDs for it when I get a bit of money.......which could be a while. :p

Soldato
Really like The Wire, some great characters and the Barksdale seasons were awesome!
Oh, and McNulty is from Sheffield too apparently -__-!

One of my top 10 series easily!

Soldato
Its superb.

Its also the clearest evidence that the BBC and ITV programming editors dont know a ******* thing about what people want to see.

Pay a few hundred thousand out for probably some of the finest television ever made?

No lets not bother shall we.

Associate
Superb from start to finish, but then most things are that are shown on HBO, Deadwood, Sopranos, Rome etc.

I think that 4th series is the best, then the 3rd then 1st and 2nd. Bought the first 3 on dvd and rewatched them and as soon as I finish I could watch it all again, the characters although there are so many of them all seem to be so well developed and the dialogue is great. I envy those who have yet to watch it.

Soldato
Bumping an old thread - but for a necessary reason, this is the finest piece of production I've seen in some time.

I read a special in the Guardian by Charlie Brooker on it, and haven't looked back - I'm now finished on season 4 and really looking forward to season 5.

I really urge everyone to go and buy the DVD boxsets and spend some quality time with this.

I envy those who have yet to watch it.

So true. To me it's like a beautifully interweaving novel in film form.

Soldato
Hell, if any TV programme's worth a bump, it's this one :)

If that scene in the first season where McNulty and Bunk are trying to find the bullet in the kitchen isn't the finest piece of television ever, then I don't know what is :D

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks season 2 was the best overall, by the way. Not only do you get murder mysteries, but also the first inkling of how small Barksdale, Prop Joe etc are in the scheme of things. Add to that the sad and desperate story of Frank Sobotka and fellow dockworkers, and then put the icing that is Brother Mouzone on the best TV cake ever made.

Strange metaphors there, but you get the drift.

Back
Top Bottom