The Z77 Sabertooth Club.

Soldato
With a single module it shouldn't matter which slot but try A1 which should be the one nearest the CPU socket. Try each module in that slot and then in slot B1. It will require Ram to boot so using none won't yield any results.

I'd remove the power cord and switch the CMOS jumper to clear for 5 minutes, just to make sure it is clearing properly. The obvious suggestion here would be to remove the CMOS battery but the shield makes that difficult, it is below the first PCI-E slot and would require the shield to be removed as far as I'm aware.

If that doesn't work it would pay to try the "Asus CrashFree BIOS 3 utility" the instructions can be found on page 3-46 of the manual.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is taking so long for Asus to release a new bios... I'm tired of flashing my bios, because my multiplier gets stuck.

Like now it is as 45x and doesn't matter if i raise or lower it.... the PC boots at 45.

Associate
No such problem like that with my bios. Tested by dropping my multi from 4.7 down to 4.4 and raised it back to 4.7 testing and booting each 100mhz increase along the way. No issues. Bios 1805.

Associate
Hey peeps Got a question for you

I got the ST z77 mobo and need to clarify ONE question. I am running the 3570k with 16gig of 2133 ram rated at 1.5 to 1.65v and to get it to hit the full speed I need the full 1.65v, My question is this IF it is bad to run 1.65v ram on this board with the ivy bridge CPU then WHY does the specs list on the Asus website state that 1.65v ram modules are compatible.

I HAVE ordered two sets of GeIL EVO Leggera 8GB (2x4gig) kits that state 1.5v and will swap for them tomorrow but I would still like to know why they state 1.65 on the QV list on asus site. ;)

EDIT: the new ram was 1.65v to so is on way back to OCUK as it stated on there site it was 1.5 :p

Last edited:
Associate
I'd like to know the same thing. This is first I've heard of only running ram at 1.5v on this board. Mines been at 1.65v since the day I built machine about 4 months ago. It's the only way I can run it at 1866mhz, 9-9-9-24-1T. I've tried running it at 1600mhz and 1333mhz, with tighter timings at 1.5v and they all benchmark slower. Haven't had no issues and it runs the best at 1.65v.

Also, anyone try the newest bios released yesterday?

Last edited:
Associate
Did not even know one was out lol, Just downloaded it and will flash later.

I got my AVEXIR Blitz ram installed still @1600mhz with 1.5v at 10,10,10,27 and all seems fine but the rated speed is 2133mhz @ 1.65v with 9,11,10,27 which is what I WAS running it at but after reading all I read I have lowered it.

Associate
I've searched several places trying to find info about why it's recommended to use 1.5volts and not above for memory. Anyone help me out here.

Since first hearing this thou I was able to keep my current 1866mhz 9-9-9-24-1T setting at 1.5v instead if 1.65v like says on memory sticks and all test stable.

Soldato
It was Intels recommendation on Sandy Bridge CPUs, more for longevity than anything else. I expect it was to do with the fact the onboard memory controller was made on a smaller process than before so they were concerned about the higher voltages. Like you've found out most sets rated for 1.65v will do the same speed and timings at 1.5v anyways.

It is also worth noting that the memory controller on Ivy Bridge processors is supposed to be more robust than Sandy Bridge.

Last edited:
Associate
My Avexir wont :( , It will only do 1.65v at anything above 1600mhz at the rated timings.
suppose if I loosen the timings enough it might but there is no point as that would cause serious performance issues. anyhow I will run them at 1600mhz for now and be happy with the timings I have. :o

My next job is to replace the TIM in the 3570k as I get idle temps of around 19,20,32,29 :D

Last edited:
Soldato
My Avexir wont, It will only do 1.65 at anything above 1600mhz at the rated timings.
suppose if I loosen them enough it might but there is no point as that would cause serious performance issues. anyhow I will run them at 1600mhz for now and be happy with the timings I have.

My next job is to replace the TIM in the 3570k as I get idle temps of around 19,20,32,29

You'll have trouble seeing the difference with memory timings in sythentic benchmarks let alone in real world usage. I wouldn't worry about it too much regardless. Never seen a confirmed case of a dead CPU from 1.65v Ram voltage.

Associate
My Avexir wont :( , It will only do 1.65v at anything above 1600mhz at the rated timings.
suppose if I loosen the timings enough it might but there is no point as that would cause serious performance issues. anyhow I will run them at 1600mhz for now and be happy with the timings I have. :o

My next job is to replace the TIM in the 3570k as I get idle temps of around 19,20,32,29 :D

Yea I replaced the TIM on my 3570k also but seen very little improvement from doing it. Right about 2 degrees difference per core idle and load. Really didn't have a temp issue prior, but cooler is always better. Current idle temps (cpu at [email protected]) are 30, 24, 25, 27c per core with a XSPC Raystorm water block and 2x120mm rad with fans setup push and pull. Room ambient at 25c.

Back
Top Bottom