There is someone homeless on the street...

Caporegime
Do you refuse to give money?
Do you only give food/drink?
Do you assume they are on drugs?
Do you think they could be fake beggars?

The above points are popular points as to why as a community majority of people don't support the homelessness.

So I was wondering, is being kind important than being right?

I think being kind/polite is a good thing to be in day to day interactions with people, though being kind doesn't imply you need to hand over your cash.

I think there is a bit of a conflation here between beggars and homeless people too. In order to refuse something you need to be asked in the first place, most homeless people I see in London don't ask for anything*. There are plenty of beggars though and yes most of them are not homeless.

I'd assume most people who choose to sleep on the streets have drug or alcohol issues else they'd not be there for very long and would accept help/temporary shelter and then a progress into getting accommodation.

*for example, there are sheltered areas outside the windows of the furniture shops on Tottenham Court road, every night there are small groups of homeless people laying out cardboard shelters and sleeping bags, I've never been asked for anything from any of them. On the other hand, if I turn the corner, then outside Planet Organic, there is a Romanian man or woman from the same gang, sat opposite the entrance asking everyone who goes past for some money...

Associate
I wouldn't give them money .... As mentioned before, to me it rarely directly aides their plight and more often serves to continue funding their troubles.

I would support the charities and the like. I often use the phrase that help is there for those that want it ... I do believe that to be the case. The rest depends on that person wanting the help.

Associate
We have had a "homeless" guy outside my work place know for years. He has openly admitted to staff that hes not homeless at all and lives with his brother and borrows his dog to help with it.
He is often given money, fags full pizzas from the hut and maccies meals. Customers will leave work and drive to the local Tesco and buy him tents, clothes, food, dog food and deodorant etc. If they ever leave the receipt in the bag he takes it straight back for cash or just dumps the items round the corner of the work place. He saves all the money he makes and goes the pub down the road about 9pm every Friday and Saturday it's a joke. Police and council cant remove him from the area either.

Commissario
Bumping this following an event in Manchester on Sunday morning.

I went for a walk before the rest of the team woke up and saw loads of homeless people sleeping in shop doorways. One of them called to me "got any change for a shave and a haircut please" which was a line I'd not heard before so I started talking to him. He said that he's got plenty of food and so have most of the homeless people because people give them food all the time. He showed me his bag which had a good few days worth of sandwiches, crisps and bottles of fizzy drink from being bought and given meal deals.

He wasn't drunk or high on anything, this was obvious by his manner and his speech. He said that he just wants to feel and look human by getting a good shave and a haircut. It may have been complete rubbish but it had the ring of truth about it and it was a line I've not heard before so he got a tenner out of me.

In before "he bought drugs/booze"

There are huge amounts of beggars in Brighton, particularly during the summer. One gets the impression that some if not many are there for the seasonal tourists. There are some that I see regularly throughout the year and these are those which will get my charity. I usually drop them a few quid rather than buy them something they may not like or want. I really don't care if they spend it on drugs, it's their choice.

Soldato
For anyone in London. Never give anything to the Roma beggers. It's all organised crime. Every morning a van will show up and they all jump out of the back to go begging.

Don
I generally just walk on - not everyone is like @Feek and @Will Gill :D

In regards to fake beggars - I was in Madrid a few years ago; I walked out of my hotel and up the hill towards the city centre and was approached by a man, who looked very worse for wear, holding a sign and asking for money. We had a guide which was taking us around (it was a Corporate award, about 10-15 of us there) and said to not bother giving to homeless as the majority of them are scammers.

After visiting the centre, we went back to the hotel. It was then I saw the previous aforementioned bigger loading his begging sign, his sleeping bag etc; into the back of his car............ That kind of put me off giving to homeless.

Man of Honour
I generally just walk on - not everyone is like @Feek and @Will Gill :D

In regards to fake beggars - I was in Madrid a few years ago; I walked out of my hotel and up the hill towards the city centre and was approached by a man, who looked very worse for wear, holding a sign and asking for money. We had a guide which was taking us around (it was a Corporate award, about 10-15 of us there) and said to not bother giving to homeless as the majority of them are scammers.

After visiting the centre, we went back to the hotel. It was then I saw the previous aforementioned bigger loading his begging sign, his sleeping bag etc; into the back of his car............ That kind of put me off giving to homeless.
I've seen similar. People getting up and packing stuff into cars. Also saw a woman on a train heading towards London with a pram. Looked like and sounded like (she was on her iphone) an East European beggar who was going to use her baby as an emotional tug... I peered in the pram to find a rolled up blanket where the baby should have been. I guess she was commuting into London for her job.

Soldato
Do you refuse to give money? Yes
Do you only give food/drink? Don't give
Do you assume they are on drugs? Mostly
Do you think they could be fake beggars? Yes

The problem can't be solved by individuals, it's what I pay taxes for, I know that sounds harsh but it's tough love is needed, firm but fair to avoid feeding someone's drug habit or money going to the wrong kind who are perhaps fake beggars. The problem can't be solved totally by Government either as some on the streets are choosing that option because they don't want to partake in the society that most of us recognise. The Government should however have a certain amount of very small social accommodation similar in size to a travel lodge single room with en-suite to assist those that do want to get back on the right track. This should also be backed up by out reach medical assistance to help those wanting to kick drugs but the housing assistance should come first. It's basically a lack of funding of social services and a similar situation is required for the elderly too, obviously not mixing both groups together. In fact very small affordable accommodation could also be the answer in deprived areas for low / unskilled workers.

Soldato
And if you see the same ones, sleeping in doorways day after day, does that change your mind?

It is the same ones that are not actually homeless, camp out side popular takeaways / restaurants / supermarkets etc.

Not seen any sleeping in doorways or a sleep, they usually do their shift and go home. If i did see them setting up for the night then yes i would probably hand over change / food.

Back
Top Bottom