"There was an error joining the Airport network 'xxxx' ".

Soldato
Hi there.

Just moved house and set up my network again.
Consists of cable modem connected to Netgear WGR614v6 then an iMac, MacMini and laptop with Vista all connecting via Wireless (also a few consoles but they shouldn't matter).

iMac connects to the network fine and signal is strong as does the laptop.
The MacMini is in next room and although it did initially work fine is now failing to connect to the network with the error in the thread title.

Tried rebooting and resetting the router and it does now connect intermittently but the signal strength is showing as much lower than it did originally.

I'm on 10.4.10 on both Macs - I hear there are some issues with airport on this version?

I've tried deleting the WEP password from the keychain and setting it up again as well as deleting the Netgear network from my preferred network list and letting it setup again but still no better on the Mini.

FYI the Vista laptop connects to the network fine when sat next to the Mini.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Si :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Downgrade to 10.4.9 and wait for the 10.4.11 fix :)

I think this is one of the more annoying bugs with the 10.4.10 patch!

Associate
This may be a fruitless/silly suggestion, but have you tried using WPA/WP2 instead of WEP. Apart from giving you better security, if it's a random bug in 10.4.10 (that I haven't experienced) I suppose it's at least worth a try.

Just checking but do you have EVERY update for your Macs? I ask because this was released a bit after 10.4.10 and I would've thought it would fix the Airport issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi folks.

Tried the $ sign and that hasn't helped unfortunately (although it is still intermittently connecting when it feels like it).

I'll try the WPA thing tonight and see how that goes. I have all the updates, yeah.

If it doesn't help how would I go about downgrading to 10.4.9?

I need to check through all the stacks of boxes I have lying around to try and find my install disks for the Mini - think they've been lost in the move :(
Will my iMac disks work in the Mini or can I get replacements from Apple?

Thanks for all your help so far.

:)

Associate
I've been having similar problems using WPA... was using next-doors connection for a bit while I sorted out some ISP issues but could not connect to their WPA netgear router. Attached my router to theirs (identical router, identical settings) and it worked fine. Tried running windows xp bootcamp and it still would not connect... very strange.

Also had the problem with a Belkin router. WPA SIMPLY would not work, yet WEP works fine. Try turning off the robustness mode on the router if it has one, they are known to cause a lot of problems.

Back
Top Bottom