Thermal paste etc. help please

Associate
hello,

I'm part way through moving my cpu into another motherboard and replacing the heatsink on it. I'm also replacing the cooler on my 6800gt with a zalman vf-900. i have a few quick questions which i would be most grateful if someone could answer:

1. i have the akasa thermal imaging remover fluid stuff. it says to use a cloth, any ideas what sort of cloth would be appropriate or does it not matter?

2. can i use that fluid on the gpu and graphics ram bits?

3. i have arctic silver 5 for the heatsink. is it ok to use this on the gpu as well?

4. when applying the as5, should i spread it around or just dump a blob and let it flatten out from the force of the heatsink?

thanks for any help. sorry these questions are pretty noob.

Associate
I'd check out this page to see if your remover is the same

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermal_Materials_27.html#aAC_2d000_2dAC

Thermal paster should be spread on as a thin film - as I recall it is meant ot act as a very fine film to transfer heat from the cpu to the heatsink.

I dont see why AS5 wouldn't be ok for the GPU

I'd use a lint free cloth - I normally use a disposable lens cloth as I have hundred from cleaning old slr lenses.

I'm sure some one more knowlegable will comment though

Permabanned
1. You should use a lith free cloth, to avoid static
2. Yes if its solvent based
3. Yes
4. Apply a small amount to both the HS and Chip, you want as little as possible so that the extire surface is covered.
Also as smooth as possible

Associate
OP
thanks guys, I did as you said and all seems fine. just got the whole thing working and it's as quiet as i had hoped.

thank you again.

Associate
Thermal imaging remover fluid
lolaway.gif
Glad you're sorted anyway, it's thermal interface material. (TIM) ;)

Associate
As per guys above re: use of TIM remover.

My method of applying thermal grease is to apply tiny blob to center of CPU (or GPU or whatever), spread it around with something with a very flat edge (piece of paper, flimsy bit of plastic etc) and then use another straight-edge thingy to take off enough of the grease so that you can see the writing/logo etc on the chip. Then the heatsink goes on, with a quick twist left and right and *then leave it bloody well alone* :)

Back
Top Bottom