• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thermal Paste on underside of cpu

Soldato
Yeh I think you're worrying too much.
Just gently wipe it, if there's lots of paste just keep using a new bit of cloth with fresh alcohol..
Then let it dry which won't take long as it evaporates quickly.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies, what kind of cloth should I use? Lint free?

+1 for ArctiClean.

I used "Pec-Pad" cloth (won't link a shop here as it's not OcUK). Get 1-2 drops on the cloth and gently wipe it off from the CPU. Be sure not to over-dose the ArctiClean.

Pec-Pad is very safe because it's designed to clean film and digital camera's image sensor.

Associate
My concern is that the part of my CPU that was cleaned now appears permanently darkened. I'm sure it will work but what do you guys think?

GY6hhtb.jpg

Associate
Isopropyl - easily found and very cheap. Maplin probably have it, if not try your local chemists.

I also use electronic contact cleaning sprays a lot. However make sure to get one with no lubricating oil added. (Basically you are looking for aerosol isopropyl alcohol.) - although I really only use sprays if I need to blast into small areas that a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl will not fit - or if the surface being cleaned might be sensitive to scratching.

Associate
Flash corrosion inhibitors, whatever they are, are in the purifier not the cleaner. I only used the cleaner.

But yeah looks like it uses stuff other than isopropyl too.

Soldato
Are you sure it's safe to use on the underside of the chip? I don't want to be shelling out a couple of hundred quit after finding it out it irreparably damages the chip.
IPA/isopropyl alcohol/isopropanol is likely used in industry for lots of cleaning.
Already because it's plastics friendly, unlike other common solvent acetone.

If only you knew how nonreactive gold is. You could probably clean it with acid.
You could say: When there's problem, there's always solution to it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia
And chlorine trifluoride would likely treat gold just as it treats asbestos, concrete, sand, water or about anything.

Back
Top Bottom