Thermalright True Black LGA 1336 mounting woes.

Associate
Got my true black today and there is no LGA 1336 mounting kit supplied. I'm not too happy about it as the thermalright website only shows the true black which does get a 1336 mounting kit so I thought it would be there. What troubles me more is that the kit OCUK sell to mount is very different to the one thermalright supply with the true black.

What can I do?

Associate
OP
Thanks Prubs. I've seen that but it doesn't look anything like the one Thermalright should supply with the True Black. Have a look here. http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/download_images/booklet/tb120revc/1366.pdf

Will it work well on this cooler?

Also, as my true is obviously an older rev, will it not be as good at cooling or are they all the same?

Thanks.

The thing I'm most cheesed off about:

£20 for 2x apache fans.
£43 for the True.
£9 for mounting Kit.

That means this heatsink has cost me over 70 quid. that's just not fair :(

Associate
OP
Well Helios, that is actually a very good point. It's too late for me now but with the Noctua you get 2 excellent 140mm fans and a 1366 mounting kit in the box for les than my inferior setup.

Soldato
There are 2 different types of LGA1366 mounting brackets Alfie, the one you posted is the newer Rev. C whereas the one that Prubs posted is the older one.

The older one works perfectly fine, I have got 2 of them here, and I haven't had a single problem with them..

I've got one going spare actually if your interested?

Contact my trust e-mail if you want..

Also, I doubt there is much if any difference between the old and new revisions of the TRUE, the newer one just has a strange hole in the center of each fin, and it comes with that different mounting bracket..

I doubt very much that the hole in the fins is going to drastically improve the performance of the heatsink.

Soldato
With the old mounting bracket, when it is tightened fully, the heatsink can still be twisted side to side, I think the new bracket addresses this issue.

However, it doesn't seem to cause any issues, I used the old style bracket for about 6 months with no problems at all.

Some people take a washer and stick that between the mounting bracket and the top of the heatsink base so that it applies more pressure to stop the heatsink from being able to be twisted, I personally didn't see any difference when doing the washer mod, and it was a real PITA to fit the bracket when the washer was in there..

Caporegime
The new rev c bracket is vastly superior to the older x clamp design, it offers a more secure fit and if you ever have to remove the cooler to clean it, you only have to remove two screws and the rest of the mount stays on the board, (no need to ever remove the mobo from the case again), except of course for the initial fitting.

Caporegime
Strange that Alfie, i have a TRUE black and when i ordered a new 1366 bracket from ocuk i received the revc, i actually thought theyd made a mistake, after a few nigglles fitting it im really impressed with it.

Associate
OP
P6td deluxe mate. I've seen the true on this board so all should go well I hope. what thermal paste method did you guys use? I MUST GET 4GHZ!!!

Soldato
I've been using MX-3 lately, I really like it, the only thing that I don't like about it is the consistency, it's a real PITA to apply!!

Maybe the guys who update the website haven't gotten round to changing the pic of the bracket, either way, whichever one you get you will be fine mate.

The newer one definitely sounds a lot better than the old one.

Back
Top Bottom