They never turned up to fit my smart meter

Associate
And many don't have usage they can shift into the cheaper period and would end up worse off because of the higher daytime rate. They're being smart by not going down that route.

Im not questioning that. People intelligently looking at their usage and choosing tariffs accordingly should be applauded.

I’m arguing with the “smart meter = bad” posters this thread has attracted.

Caporegime
Octopus Go works really well for charging EV’s
I have a timer setting in the apps for my car and home charger, to start and stop charging at set times/days. I use the the charger app - Pod Point. So I plug the charger into the car and it only charges the car during the time I set.

Every day is like this.

51984886711_c93e358063_c.jpg

It's a fascinating subject for sure. I knew about the older systems (that was like 22:00-05:00 cheaper power iirc) so you could technically work to these times provided you knew what you were doing. It's great that they've pushed it forward like this.

The industry is very much heading down this route, the savings to be made are absolutely astronomical. The building I mentioned earlier saved about £3m pa in the first year of having their energy usage profiled. We fine tuned it so well that if a single fan coil unit was running at night, it'd tell us the hourly cost. If you care, here's an ad for one of the products we used:

Caporegime
Im not questioning that. People intelligently looking at their usage and choosing tariffs accordingly should be applauded.

I’m arguing with the “smart meter = bad” posters this thread has attracted.

You came across as suggesting people who hadn't gone down the same route as you weren't smart.

Soldato
I imagine if off peak / surge poetics tariffs start to become available we'll see more instances where safety is played against cost.

Eg the recent fairy dishwasher advert advising people to put the dishwasher on at night vs the fire brigade pointing out how dangerous it can be to run appliances like that when no one's awake.
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/fairys-dishwasher-tablet-tv-advert-6873598

Just an interesting side effect I guess, unavoidable that running appliances at night will be incentivised, but companies should probably avoid actually advising people to do so...

Associate
Quite frankly, I don't see the energy companies ever wanting to do anything that has you paying them less, that just seems like bad business.

It leaves me suspicious of these meters.

If you think about when you use electricity, running an electric oven, telly on, laundry on, all when you get in from work before bed. That creates a lot of demand. You need to build enough power generation to supply that peak power. The rest of the time, the generators just work less which is “wasted” capacity. If you off set the peak, you need to build less generators, but run them for longer.

there’s a lot more to it, but that’s the general gist.

the cheap tariffs aim to encourage that offset.

Soldato
Don't some of these surge price tariffs require you to have a electric car to join?

I don't run anything substantial overnight so would be pointless. Wouldn't leave a tumble dryer on while sleeping, seen how quickly one of those can catch fire.

Caporegime
Looking at my consumption. Over the last 28 days i've averaged 21.71kWh a day at a cost of £1.28 a day. This is only made possible because I have a smart meter.

Thanks.

And only made possible because your particular situation allows 95% of your electricity consumption to take place between 00:30 and 04:30.

Associate
Don't some of these surge price tariffs require you to have a electric car to join?

I don't run anything substantial overnight so would be pointless. Wouldn't leave a tumble dryer on while sleeping, seen how quickly one of those can catch fire.
I would certainly recommend getting good quality, mains fed, linked, smoke detectors fitted before worrying about energy prices.

that is, if you are worried about fires.

also modern heat pump tumble dryers are not only much more energy efficient, they run at much lower temperatures and are far less of a fire hazard.

Back
Top Bottom