They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

Soldato
Watched this last night as a family. Sobering stuff, absolutely inconceivable that WWII could happen only twenty years later. But the last few minutes of the film showed the ignorance and blinkered view of the general population.

Soldato
One thing that's stayed with me since I watched it was the look on the faces of the men who stared in puzzlement directly into the lens as they trudged past in what must have been unimaginably horrible and relentless conditions. It was as if, just for a few seconds, they were looking out of the most hellish snow-globe, straight into our eyes.

Permabanned
I had no idea there was that much footage to even use as a basis to restore/enhance to this level.

If you watch the BBC's ground breaking 1964 series The Great War there is hours of such footage, hardly any of real battle though,
all the stuff you see is the aftermath and staged battle sequences filmed in England.

I'm surprised the BBC hasn't blown its own trumpet re The Great War, this new film boasts about adding sound effects to the silent pictures,
cleaning up the images and slowing down the undercranked original footage to approximate normal speed, they did all this in 1964.

I thought it was interesting but nothing I hadn't seen or heard before, the colourisation was great if a bit gimmicky.

Do we really need crisp colour pictures in order to appreciate the horror of war ?

The use of 15 seconds of one voice then 15 seconds of
another voice was a tad irritating and the narrative suffered because of it
[ was there a Scottish, Welsh or Irish voice in
the entire film ? ], a narration might have worked better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm surprised the BBC hasn't blown its own trumpet re The Great War, this new film boasts about adding sound effects to the silent pictures,
cleaning up the images and slowing down the undercranked original footage to approximate normal speed, they did all this in 1964.

You're seriously comparing a 1964 BBC documentary with this and saying the technology used is comparible?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom