Things to do in Plymouth?

Soldato
For people who live down plymouth are there a lot of activities to do and sight see? Was thinking of taking my girlfriend down to the aquarium and have a nice romantic weekend down there in November. She loves fish and i have always said i would take her to a big aquarium :)

From my quick research i have found the following:

Biggest Aquarium
Dartmoor Zoo
2nd biggest shopping centre.

Are there any other romantic areas to visit?

Soldato
Aquarium takes about 1hr to get round, it is ok but not great.

Dartmoor Zoo isn't as good as it is hyped to be according to family members.

Shopping centre.....aaaaahahahahahaha

Soldato
Other than the aquarium, wander over to Saltram House or Mount Edgcumbe, visit Dartmoor (best thing about Plymouth is proximity to Dartmoor), take a trip up the Tamar on a boat, wander up Smeaton's Tower, walk from West Hoe to the Barbican and have fish and chips, if celebrity chefs are your thing go to Tanners and/or the River Cottage Canteen.

Man of Honour
You are in for a disappointment if you think 'second biggest shopping centre in the South West' means anything other than 'The South West doesnt have big shopping centres'. It's small enough that many wonder what the point in building it was in the first place. It's about the size of just one section of any of the other larger shopping centres in the UK.

But that doesn't neccesarily mean Plymouth isn't a good base for a nice weekend away. It's conveniently close to all sorts of nice places to visit - especially Cornwall. Looe, Falmouth, Truro, Newquay etc etc are all close enough for a day trip from Plymouth and if you don't have a car are inexpensive and easy to reach by train.

The views from Plymouth Hoe are excellent, it has the finest natural harbour in Europe. The Baribican is a nice place for a walk around etc.

I'd spend one day doing the Aquarium, Barbican, Hoe and shopping and another day on a day trip to Cornwall.

Wondering if the lake district would be a better option :)

Depending on what you want out of your weekend it might well be!

Soldato
the River Cottage Canteen.

I left there really unimpressed myself. I expected to have some amazing cuisine given it is floppy hair man's (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) place but it was just not that good. The food was ok and slightly different to other places I've been but it wasn't special at all (marketed as being amazing). The portion sizes were very odd too, a mountain of pate and two tiny pieces of toast.

Soldato
I left there really unimpressed myself. I expected to have some amazing cuisine given it is floppy hair man's (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) place but it was just not that good. The food was ok and slightly different to other places I've been but it wasn't special at all (marketed as being amazing). The portion sizes were very odd too, a mountain of pate and two tiny pieces of toast.
Fair enough, when I was home at earlier this year we took a walk out to the Royal William Yard and popped in but it was full. I have heard people say it was mediocre but I'm willing to give a chance.

Associate
Royal William Yard - used to live there until May and is a great place to go out and have drinks and eats. Is a place called Seco Lounge which is very chilled out and has good drinks and eats. Service can be a bit ropey when they are busy (as is the quality of the food). Prezzo next door is fantastic - great eats and great service. Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall has a River Cottage Cantenn there. Is alright, but i thought it was a bit pricey for what you got.

Is also a bakery there and they are opening up stuff all the time. Is a new wine bar there and from what i have heard, Wagamama will be there form March next year.

Is easy to hop on the Cremyll ferrry from near there too and head over to Mount Edgcombe. Nice walk around a stately home and grounds and also a pub just by the ferry wharf that sells Rattler Cider...is very nice.

I really like it down in Plymouth, as does Mrs S and we will be moving back to the area as soon as we can get away from current jobs and where we are living.

Soldato
The Lake District in autumn is utterly stunning. Having not been to Plymouth, I can't really give an opinion on it, but I'd go back to the Lake District in October/November in a heartbeat.

Soldato
Unwanted is there anywhere specific you would recommend? If its easier i could contact you via email? Im looking to go for a weekend in early Nov :)

Hey,

I got your email :) I went about 5 years ago so I honestly can't remember where I stayed, but it wasn't far from the little village where Beatrix Potter's cottage is/was.

I'm probably not the best person to ask. I'm sure there are guys here who live there or who have been more recently than myself.

Back
Top Bottom