Think my PSU is dead...?

Associate
Hi all,

Just tried to switch on my media PC and nothing, no fan spin up, nothing.

I've removed the motherboard from the case, disconnected all components and tried the reset switch instead of the power switch. I think this means my PSU is dead. Is that right?

Can anyone think of a way to further test/diagnose the problem? Sadly I don't have another PSU/motherboard to test with except the one in my main PC which I don't really want to disassemble.

Many thanks

Associate
Hi all,

Just tried to switch on my media PC and nothing, no fan spin up, nothing.

I've removed the motherboard from the case, disconnected all components and tried the reset switch instead of the power switch. I think this means my PSU is dead. Is that right?

Can anyone think of a way to further test/diagnose the problem? Sadly I don't have another PSU/motherboard to test with except the one in my main PC which I don't really want to disassemble.

Many thanks

Disconnect everything from the PSU but have a fan or something plugged into the molex. Then try and start it with a paper clip:

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/ho...-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components/0_100

Soldato
You can test that the PSU will start without having the system connected by using a paperclip, or similar conductive material, to short between the green wire and a black wire on the 20/24 Way ATX connector. You may need to connect a fan to a Molex to get this to work.

If it fails to start then you can be sure it's the PSU. If it does start then it could still be the PSU.

Just for your information the green wire circuit is basically the wire that the power switch connects so all you are doing is imitating a power switch.

Associate
OP
It's an unbranded/own brand from an OcUK competitor so won't say. It's a reduced size micro at one that came as part of my HTPC case which is awesome. Hey ho, it's covered under warranty still so will get it replaced like for like. If it goes again I'll upgrade it to something better.

Man of Honour
Definitely sounds like the PSU has gone. What brand is it?

I have lost quite a few cheap PSUs over the years. Will only buy the well known brands these days.

Back
Top Bottom