Thinking about a vr headset

Soldato
There are games that you can play sitting at your desk to be honest.

But for the more full motion ones, as long as you can control yourself, then you're fine as long as you have a place you can stand where your reach (standing still) is clear of obstacles.

I've been very pleased with my Rift. I don't think I'll upgrade to the Rift S, but if I was buying now I'd probably pick it for the higher resolution and not needing any external sensors.

On the subject of resolution, the only games I have played on the Rift where it's particularly noticeable are racing games - when you're looking towards a distant corner or road sign, it's rather pixellated. But I've noticed no issues in any other game type.

Some of the experiences you get in VR are jaw dropping, and I'd highly recommend it.

Soldato
OP
There are games that you can play sitting at your desk to be honest.

But for the more full motion ones, as long as you can control yourself, then you're fine as long as you have a place you can stand where your reach (standing still) is clear of obstacles.

I've been very pleased with my Rift. I don't think I'll upgrade to the Rift S, but if I was buying now I'd probably pick it for the higher resolution and not needing any external sensors.

On the subject of resolution, the only games I have played on the Rift where it's particularly noticeable are racing games - when you're looking towards a distant corner or road sign, it's rather pixellated. But I've noticed no issues in any other game type.

Some of the experiences you get in VR are jaw dropping, and I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks for the reply mate I'll see what the reviews are like for the rift S and oculus quest.

Associate
Hi Guys

I've never tried VR before, what would be a good headset?
How much room do you need?
Are the games good?

What are peoples experiences.

Vr is definelty a game changer and amazing experience. All the headsets are good but oculus probably offers best bang for buck. I play in a space between 3-4 metres squared quite comfortably.

I bought the headset for simming both flight and racing and for that it has been worth every penny. The games made dedicated for vr have been okay in my experience. There are a couple of real gems out there but most are a bit average in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
Vr is definelty a game changer and amazing experience. All the headsets are good but oculus probably offers best bang for buck. I play in a space between 3-4 metres squared quite comfortably.

I bought the headset for simming both flight and racing and for that it has been worth every penny. The games made dedicated for vr have been okay in my experience. There are a couple of real gems out there but most are a bit average in my opinion.

So you stand up for some of the games?
Not sure I've really got 3-4 metres from the desk though

Soldato
In terms of actual floorspace I've no more than about a meter. Most if not all first person games with movement offer an artificial snap turning option, which means you don't have to move. Minimal space only really hurts with racket, hitting motions where you extend out.

Associate
For standing/room scale, you probably need about a 2.5m x3m area at least (enough to at least swing your arms and move a little side-to-side). For seated experiences (sims, driving etc), you just need...a chair :)

There are a lot of good headsets being released in the next few months - it really just boils down to how much you're willing to spend. If you want the best overall enthusiast experience and are willing to pay for it, look at the Valve Index. If you want a well-rounded affordable setup, look at the Rift S. If you don't want to use a PC at all, the Quest is the one to get IMO.

Associate
So you stand up for some of the games?
Not sure I've really got 3-4 metres from the desk though
3- 4 metres square - I have about 1.5 m x 2m area which is rated as medium by oculus. I also have low ceiling which can be a pain for vr golf. For most shooters this is all you need.

Soldato
If you want the best overall enthusiast experience and are willing to pay for it, look at the Valve Index. If you want a well-rounded affordable setup, look at the Rift S. If you don't want to use a PC at all, the Quest is the one to get IMO.

Perfect.

I have about 1.5 m x 2m area which is rated as medium by oculus. I also have low ceiling which can be a pain for vr golf.

Same here. The trick is placing yourself in the direction of empty space in front of you. Works great for golf, tennis/table, pool and random throwing. Games like Gorn and Racket NX where they have you going in random directions is where a small playing area hurts.

Associate
I've never tried VR before

Go out and try it! Find someone near you to try for free or pay a local place that probably has one setup somewhere.

It's like asking for golf club advice when you've never played golf.

You may hate it!

Just checked, you're in London. They'll be a billion places doing something.

I hope the experience will drag you in, it did me several years ago and has never let go.

Associate
The thread is a bit older now so no idea if you've already invested in a headset, but the Windows Mixed Reality headsets are great for the price. Inside out tracking is very easy to set up, works with Steam VR (so almost anything on Steam), wide range of designs so you can find something comfortable. Best thing is the price, often under £200! It's a good step up from the PSVR and the resolution is higher than the CV1 and first Vives.

You'll want some rechargeable AA's however...

Back
Top Bottom