Thinking about getting the Quest 2

Soldato
At the moment I have the DK2 that I rarely use as theres no hand controls with it.. Im in a wheelchair so will be using it for seated games only, but might take it into the main sitting room for the rest of the family to use it. So with being able to use it without a pc interests me.

I will mainly use it connected to the pc for my racing games and I just want to know how capable is it, to be used mainly on the pc, is there any negatives?

The main problem with the dk2 is the the resolution so the dials and stuff when playing racing games are not very detailed, plus the pixels are very noticeable... So how much of a upgrade will I notice with the Quest 2?

Also Im guessing the head set will do some of the processing power with it being a stand alone headset and wont thrash the pc too much?

Final question, do you have to use a mobile phone to get it setup, can you use the pc?

Soldato
Visually it'll be a large upgrade over the DK2. It's the best of both worlds. Wireless and wired PC gaming along with native games. The only concern is driving all those extra pixels with your graphics card. You can though just dial down the graphics a bit and you should be fine. It'll still be miles better than your DK2.

Setup is mobile only I believe.

Soldato
Yep, Quest 2 is a major increase in clarity over most other VR headsets. Even if you have to dial down the quality settings either in-game or for the PC link quality (it uses compressed USB, or wireless via a program called Virtual destkop), the lack of screen door effect will make things look massively better.

You will need a decent USB3 lead and connection to your PC if you go wired for the PC connection though. Wireless requires a good 5ghz router in the same room as the Quest 2.

Soldato
If you haven't tried any VR headset only the DK2, I think you are going to be in for a shock when you see how good the Quest 2 is. Even at it's lowest, blurriest setting, the Quest 2 will still look far better than the DK2.

Soldato
I would have thought with the headset having a gpu, it would do some of the processing?

No, the game isn't been processed on the Quest 2. It's rendered on the PC, encoded into a video stream and sent to the Quest 2 where it gets decoded and displayed on the screen.

Soldato
That sounds like more cpu power than gpu

The game is rendered on the GPU. And It's encoded by the GPU. It's sent via usb link/Wireless as a video stream which is then decoded by the Quest 2.

Not sure, what you are trying to say. When you are playing PC games, the Quest 2's GPU is not been used.

Soldato
OP
The game is rendered on the GPU. And It's encoded by the GPU. It's sent via usb link/Wireless as a video stream which is then decoded by the Quest 2.

Not sure, what you are trying to say. When you are playing PC games, the Quest 2's GPU is not been used.

I thought if the pc was doing all the work, the headset only needs to display it,, but you say the Quest 2 has to decode the video...... So just how good is the gpu when using it standalone, does all apps run nice and smooth?

Soldato
I thought if the pc was doing all the work, the headset only needs to display it,, but you say the Quest 2 has to decode the video...... So just how good is the gpu when using it standalone, does all apps run nice and smooth?

Decoding the video doesn't affect the framerate. The GPU is doing all the game rendering, but, it has to do extra work as it has to encode the game too. That's what Unseul was talking about.

All the games and Apps designed for the Quest 2 in standalone mode run great. What games and apps are you interested in?

Soldato
OP
All the games and Apps designed for the Quest 2 in standalone mode run great. What games and apps are you interested in?
The good racing games like PCars, dirt rally ect mainly. The Quest 2 will run all of the pc vr games though, right?

You're able to configure two of the buttons between left and right controllers.
So only using 1 controller will work ok?

koh

koh

Associate
I've been running Dirt Rally 2, AMS2, Raceroom & ACC over wireless and they run really well. In cockpit view is very clear to me able to read all the dials.I use Virtual Desktop and connect to my BT Smart Hub on 5ghz Wi Fi. I expected to get better performance on a cable link to my gaming PC but found performs worst than over Wi Fi. That could be down to my PC setup and the non Oculus cable I am using. The Quest 2 is my first VR headset and I am more than happy with it as exceeded my expections in driving games.

I have difficulty using my left controller due to injury. I got some AMVR grip covers with straps that hold my hand in position to use the controller. Don't know your situation yet may be an option as I could not use left controller until got AMVR strap.

Back
Top Bottom