thinking about working in a bar....

Soldato
I already have a part-time job but with 4 months to kill until uni starts again in september, ive been thinking about maybe working in a bar for a couple of nights a week.

Whats the work like? been at a supermarket since i was 16 (20 now). What exactly do you do apart from serve customers etc? is it fun at all or just annoying having to work so late?

Used to enjoy my current job as the people i used to work with were ace and we had a laugh, but these days its just dull and lifeless so i'm looking for a change!

Anyone have any experience and fancy explaining the good/bad points of bar work?

Associate
I worked in a bar over the last summer. Good experience, but had strange hours. Worked from about 3 until midnight. If it is a small local pub then you get to know the regulars, which is a good perk as you can always chat to them.

It is really important that you like the boss, as he will there most of the time.

At least now i can pour a perfect pint, and can do good measures for cocktails.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I worked at tesco at home, I just started part-time barwork in the student union.

I've found it's much more relaxed even when busy. It's a fun job and very sociable :)

It's a great way to meet new people too ;) I've already been offered a couple of drinks :cool:

Soldato
i want to work in the bar too..

been in a kitchen since i was 16 (part time) now im off to uni in september im hoping to get bar work in newcastle and ditch my greasy job

Soldato
What bar? What area of your city? Working behind the bar? Working in the kitchen? On the floor? Promotions?

I've done floor, promotions and on the bar.

Behind the bar is fun as long as the people you are with are sociable. You have to make your own fun with them rather than expect pouring the 100th pint to be exciting.

Promotions is even more fun, you get to mess about being loud etc to get people into your bar.

Floor is quiet as you usually work on your own, collecting glasses and cleaning etc...

They're all extremely tiring though, I used to do 15 hour shifts behind the bar and I would just want to collapse and sleep for a week when finishing.

You often get abuse from customers and almost no recognition from the managers. Customers look down their noses at you because you're behind the bar and they're obviously better than you.

It can be rewarding, you do get the nice customers and you can have so much fun with other staff. You just have to put up with a lot of crap.

Soldato
did it a couple of years ago in a club, its was fun at first but the novelty quickly died, best thing was getting 2 or 3 girls numbers every night.

Back
Top Bottom