Thinking of buying A New Monitor

Associate
Somewhere, in a field in cheshire... alright!
Hello

Im looking for some advice about a new monitor. Ive currently got a 17inch LCD Monitor that only supports 1024x768 resolution. Im looking for something thatll do my games more justice. Only really have room for a 19 inch but i know the latest monitors support higher resolutions.

I quite like the look of the Samsung SM-940B 19" LCD Monitor. Is it any good? Whats the difference between that and the cheaper Samsung SM-913N 19" LCD Monitor. Would any recommend a wide screen monitor? Are widescreen any use for gaming? All advice welcome thankyou.

I should add I will be watching dvds on it as well. thanks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi mate. Are you 100% sure your 17" TFT only supports 1024 x 768? that is a little odd as the 15" models run at that native resolution. What model is it?

Regarding the Samsung 940B, it uses the same panel as the Samsung 913N so only the looks and features vary between them. It's a very good screen, as is the 913N. For gaming these are good choices, although because they are based on TN Film panel technology, viewing angles and movie playback are somewhat restrictive. Take a look at the info about the 913N's performance in the sticky, since it will apply to the 940B too :) WS is very nice for gaming if the games support the res. This gets asked a lot though, so if you do a quick search you will turn up quite a few threads about this.

Man of Honour
ah, thats a 15" model which makes sense, in your OP you list it as 17" which is why i was concerned about the resolution

Man of Honour
mostly because of the viewing angles tbh. The other problem is that the screen can show more 'noise' in movies, particularly twinkling in large colour masses, and some artefacts. Not an issue if you're sitting a couple of metres away, and tbh, perfectly fine for a single user. Just not quite as good or as smooth as other panel technologies

Back
Top Bottom