Thinking of ditching my Schiit Modi 2 and M-Audio BX5-D3 for alternatives

Associate
Hi all,

So I'm not really liking my M-Audio BX5-D3 speakers and Schiit stack combination. I can hear some computer signal noise which is coming from the Schiit Modi 2, I guess as it's USB powered. When I switch it off it goes away (I'll happily try any combo of plugs, wall sockets, power strips, if anyone thinks this will help). I'm currently thinking of selling the Modi 2 and buying a Modi Multibit - would this solve my computer signal noise problem with it being mains powered?

I'm also not liking the size of the speakers or the faint hiss. To be fair they don't hiss that much, it's probably 80% computer noise, 20% hiss but still, not ideal.

So I'm thinking of buying the Audioengine A2+ but would this play nicely with the Schiit Magni 3 and possible Modi Multibit? I guess it's double DAC'd if this a thing? Or is there another way of connecting the A2+ speakers and still having the option of the Schiit stack for my Sennheiser HD 660S?

Cheers all :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I'm thinking of buying the Audioengine A2+ but would this play nicely with the Schiit Magni 3 and possible Modi Multibit? I guess it's double DAC'd if this a thing? Or is there another way of connecting the A2+ speakers and still having the option of the Schiit stack for my Sennheiser HD 660S?
Oh wait, just reading the Rainforest Q&A section for these speakers and...
If you use your existing DAC to send sound to the speakers, then you will input into the speakers with analog red/white RCAs, which will bypass the DAC inside the speakers. The internal DAC for these speakers is only accessed when you input signal via USB
That's that answered then :)

Associate
OP
Considering simplifying the whole set up and selling...

Senn HD 660S
Schiit Magni 3 / Modi 2
M-Audio BX5-D3

And just buying the the KEF Egg...

Sorted.

Associate
OP
The Egg's are supposed to be amazing but one surely needs headphones occasionally?
I only listen to headphones really when I'm out and about so my cheapy Creative Aurvana Live do this okay - plus they're so cheap a bit of rain on them is fine ;)

I'm using the Senn's less than I thought I would and the Schiit stack driving them is just over-complicating things I think.

Back
Top Bottom