Thinking of getting an EV

Unfortunately this is one of the major downsides of most EVs - because the battery is under the floor, they have a very elevated driving position.

Hopefully as the technology matures, designers will come up with ways of working around that, but ultimately you've got to put a big chunk of heavy metal and circuitry somewhere in the car - under the floor is the logical position to keep it out of the way and also maintain stability due to the low centre of gravity.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the MG5 isn't actually much better in this respect!
I noticed this when I sat in one, definately a higher position than my Ceed SW. I think thats a positive for wife, less so for me.

Get a quote from Smart Home Charge, you can find a discount on EVM's YouTube channel as well.

EDIT: Also go and test drive a random on of the cars on your list at the weekend, since it sounds like you've never driven one/been in one, you'll realise RWD isn't a big deal.
Any chance you can link the EVM discount. As had a look at a few Video descriptions etc and havent come across that yet. Cheers

that's the benefit of the megane e-tech I thought, but practically I don't know if mftr's present any data on the relative efficiency of their HP's
( btw I'm placing a bet on that as your chosen 'fun' steed )

[
Which test drive did you experience this on?...
hmmh - knew those bags of sand could be useful
I make that 28 bags of sand in the back of our bmw's and navigate out favourite roundabouts to simulate a 2.2T bev
]

You still haven’t driven one?!? In the boot is kinda the wrong place to simulate mass…. Let alone the car not designed for it.

Would see which way I went on your favourite roundabout I’m afraid…

That’s assuming the road not this conversation?

How important is a heat pump in an EV? Most of the cars Im looking at don't have it as standard, but a couple do. Its an expensive extra so won't be able to add it on.

Will you be doing a lot of journeys close to the limit of the car's range in winter?

If not, then personally I wouldn't bother, because that's the only time it's going to be worthwhile (IMO). Yes you will lose some efficiency in cold weather, but it would take a great many miles to recoup the cost

How important is a heat pump in an EV? Most of the cars Im looking at don't have it as standard, but a couple do. Its an expensive extra so won't be able to add it on.
I'm in two minds about this, its something that probably should come as standard but I also get that cars need to be build to a price. However at the same time, its not that much more expensive than putting in a separate resistive heater and air conditioning (which itself is technically a heat pump) and cars from mid range manufactures should really have them as standard, particularly given the silly list prices they slap on them.

On the cars where they are an optional extra, I'd say don't worry about it unless you can find one with the option at a minimal cost premium. I expect most don't have them fitted as manufactures charged ~£1k for the option and they had a fairly minimal impact on range so understandably people didn't option them due to the poor value.

They can have a material difference and lower the differential between winter and summer range if they are integrated into the car well but and the whole HVAC system is engineered around it (e.g. both cabin and battery heating/cooling) on both the hardware and software side. For example when the Model 3 ditched the resistive heater and went heat pump, they added ~20 miles or 8% more WLTP range in the standard range (55kwh).

But like I and @Haggisman said, its probably not worth it if you have to pay extra for it. You could probably argue that where its an optional extra, it may not be as well integrated, hence its not that impactful.

As long as the WLTP range -30% (winter rule of thumb) is enough for your needs, then its probably fine without it.

one of the heat pump trade-off from earlier post - if you are typically going to pre-heat at cheap rate and rairly exploit full range where hp may help most,
then put the money of the hp option into additional electricity

Did VW do something to reconfigure their innovative CO2 heat pump - they had had to pay compensation to german owners because the heat pump did not deliver the range improvements VW promised,
and if you didn't need the marginal range improvement it gave, it was cheaper to use the additional £700,option price, to pay for a lot more Kwh's of electrcity, to make up for it's absence.

Second hand EVs that are 3+ years old are much better value, here's some £10k-20k, 2019-2021 up to 60k mileage and have decent range:

cars like the Kona for £15k are incredible prices imo.

Model 3's with 50k for under £20k look good or am I missing something?
Didn't realise the prices for EV's had come down to reasonable s/h values.

Last edited:
Second hand EVs that are 3+ years old are much better value, here's some £10k-20k, 2019-2021 up to 60k mileage and have decent range:

They seem to be the smaller cars. The Kona and niro are going to be too small for me.

I guess a lot of cars are coming up to 3 or 4 years old and are coming off lease. Most wont have done many miles as the typical company car driver does a lot less miles since covid.
I imagine a lot were experiments as well. I know a bunch of my senior MDs/partners all took an EV for s*** and giggles because they were dirt cheap. One has a Mini that I don't think can have more than 1k miles on it in the almost 3 years he has had it. At 45%+NI saving, they were beer money and a fun experiment!

Last edited:
I've been watching a lot of stuff on YouTube about the really high depreciation on the EVs and thinking maybe it is better to look again at buying a used one.

I never seem to see the kinds of prices that these YouTubers seem to find though.

Used EVs are a bargain at the moment. I recently picked up a 2019 eGolf 18K miles for £12600. Unlikely to suit your use case as it has very low range but I love it for driving around town and the odd 80 mile round trip. While I was looking I saw lots of EV options that were a fair bit cheaper than their petrol equivalents.

Back
Top Bottom