Thinking of getting back on two wheels

Associate
Havent owned my own bike since 1999. Before that I'd been on and off bikes for about 5 years. Its been 4 years since I've even ridden a bike. But I've now got a hankering (mid life crisis??) to get back on a bike.

Thing is, if I'm going to buy a bike, its got to be something I really want, not a compromise which is what I always had to have when I was young. My car is enough of a compromise these days.

I can buy a 916 / 996 for under 5 grand. I figure insurance is going to be expensive, and I'll have to budget for a decent lid, leathers etc. as well.

Am I mad?

Man of Honour
No why would you be mad.

I hadn't ridden in 10 years at all and wanted to get back on, but mine was a compromise I wanted to save a significant amount of money. It's brilliant and feels great to have one again after hankering for 10 years, the want never left.

Soldato
OP - what kind of bikes have you ridden, and how often? Just trying to get an idea of your background and riding experience. Too often people under-estimate modern mid-engine bikes and after getting their CBT think you need a litre bike to go fast!

If you previously spent a few years on a 125, have ridden your mate's GPZ500 a couple of times and now want to jump on a 916 then I would exercise a HUGE amount of caution. I would ask you to try a few 600s as most normal people find then way faster than they'll ever need on the road and will be much cheaper and easier to live with.

If you used to own a big bike (600+) and/or have spent some serious time on one then I'd say definitely go for it. You already know what to expect on the road, and I would always tell anyone to go for a bike that will make you smile every morning when you see it. Mine still does after 5+ years of ownership. :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I did it in April & have not looked back since, In fact I bought myself another bike yesterday so now I have two. One for keeping mint & cruising & the other as a daily winter hack. :cool:

Associate
OP
My riding record is several years on a 125, a year on a 400 and on-off riding of 600 over a five year period. I used to blat up and down the country so racked up a lot of miles.

Been checking insurance costs. I figured the lack of NCB, and a couple of other quirks on my license would be the main factor - its not. Cost of a 400 or 600 was a quarter of the cost of a 916!

I'm also figuring out the cost of decent leathers, a new lid (mine would have been 12yrs old!) and a big ****-off lock.

Associate
OP
I bought one. I take delivery of a bright yellow 996 this week. Going to spend the winter getting the paintwork sorted, refreshing a few of the older looking bits and basically planning to be out on it in the spring (yeah, I got old - I'll take the car in winter).

Thinking of taking some refresher training before then - any recommendations?

Last edited:
Associate
Congrats :)

Why not give an instructor a ring and go out for a few lessons to get you up to speed again? Will be reassuring knowing that you are going out with someone that knows what they are doing and can give you some advise on what you need to work on.

Associate
Rather than instrcutor training, try someone like rapid training, they should be able to help you out more than an instructor who teaches people how to pass their test.

Back
Top Bottom