Thinnest induction hob?

Soldato
I'm getting annoyed with the difficulty of cleaning my hob. It's an old iron plate thing. So I'm looking at an induction hob. Standard 4 zone, 60cm jobbie. Hopefully a drop-in replacement. But there is a knife draw immediately below it. So I need the hob to be very shallow. The countertop is 4cm thick. And I don't want to be heating the knives. What do you recommend?

Soldato
OP
I have this one.

Unfortunately it's 0.5cm too deep. I suppose I could fit a frame around it to lift it up.

I've just double checked and lifted it up and I've got the measurements wrong. It's 60cm on the outside, but the hole is 56cm by 49 cm by 4cm deep and there's a wood bar beneath. The current hob is a Prima LPR 852.

x1HLruu.jpg

Soldato
OP
Digging through the manuals of other hobs, it seems that 6 cm is recommended between the top of induction hobs and items in the drawer beneath. This is not a problem as the wood bar gives the distance.

Soldato
OP
Double check your electrics are up for the job as well before buying

Quite right to check. Yes, it's on a 32A circuit with 6mm cabling.

I've found that Miele do one that's a mere 3 cm thick, the KM7201FR. As with all Miele products, the price is swingeing. I've emailed them about the suitability and the safety.

Soldato
OP
I've had a reply from Miele. They actually do not recommend any induction hob when there is a drawer with metal items underneath. Oh well. So I guess it's going to have to be a ceramic hob.

Soldato
OP
Only a personal opinion, but I swapped out a Glass/Ceramic hob for an Induction one, and would never go back.

Yes, an induction hob was my first choice but the professionals - Miele - recommend against it because I have a knife drawer underneath so I would be foolish to not follow their advice. I have a very small kitchen - about 7' x 9' - and a full redesign is not on the cards. At least, not right now.

Soldato
OP
We have a Seimans induction hob above our cutlery drawer- it's been there now for near 12 yrs.

How far above?

What I did find is there wasn't any way the heat could escape from the cutlery drawer except over back of drawer and down to back of the units which have vented kickplate.

Right. I have no vents. I suppose I could drill some holes in the back and install some grommets.

Soldato
OP
Update. John Lewis did a ****-poor job of installing it. The installers needed to make the hole a slither larger but while they removed the top drawer, they didn't remove the lower drawers with the result that sawdust and worse was everywhere. They were too lazy or incompetent to remove the drawers or put down a dust sheet.

P2Uk2Ed.jpg

QNrzfRQ.jpg

On the plus side it's much, much faster to heat up, and gets hotter to boot. It heated through my cast iron pan in seconds, andf it was smoking hot in another few seconds. That's versus a minute or three for my old iron hob. It's going to take some getting used to.

Soldato
OP
what does the hob and drawer clearance look like.

It's fine. I specifically chose this hob because it was so slim.

How much do you pay for a JL install, presumably a qualified electrician

£90. It was a man and an older apprentice / assistant.

but I would empty drawers in anticipation

It was supposed to be a drop-in replacement. No carpentry required. And they bundled me out of the kitchen before I could do anything. My kitchen is VERY small.

Soldato
OP
A picture of finished job would be good.

The surround is not good. The overhang is much less than my old hob so it doesn't cover up the discoloured and chipped worktop.

Here's another pic I took. I had to lift up the hob to get a picture of the serial no etc to register for the warranty because the workmen took that documentation with them and I found this:

JISfw6X.jpg

John Lewis got back to me and have given me a £40 JL / Waitrose e-voucher as compensation. Unfortunately the JL in Aberdeen closed a while back and I was unware - and didn't check - that there wasn't a Waitrose hereabouts. Fortunately it's good for mail order.

Back
Top Bottom