This has freaked me out

Man of Honour
It shouldn't do but for years I've said phones listen to us but perhaps there is another explanation.

Yesterday at work I log onto my NHS PC and I get an email off a colleague to read up on Nitro PDF Pro and whether it is suitable for our department.
Three of us use Adobe Professional but the rest of the team need it and at £499 a license for the standalone it's too expensive.
From my NHS account I go to the Nitro site and sign up with my NHS email to download a trial version.
I spend the day working with it and it does everything we need to do in the department for £190 a license and one free for every 3 we buy.
Over my version of Adobe Professional I've asked if I can also have it.
So to summarise I'm on my NHS PC with all my NHS logins and I have zero access to Facebook.
I even have an NHS Google account.

I get home and the first thing I see on Facebook is a Nitro PDF advert with a buy 3 and get one free advert.
WTF :eek:
I've had 3 so far.

Explain how this has happened other than me talking about it in the office please.

images

You did that on purpose, my most hated meme.

Why do you think your colleague was looking at this? Might it be because they saw an advert for Nitro PDF Pro?

No it's because she had Nitro PDF Pro 7 on her NHS PC before it went kaput last week.
She asked what the latest version 14 would now be like and it now does everything that Adobe Professional does for our needs - Bates Numbering, Password Protecting, Editing, Combining, Converting etc, the version 7 didn't do everything.

Before this, the one that stood out was a good 4 years ago.
Me and my mate were talking about motorbike locks which is something I'd never search for because I never have and never will have a motorbike.
When I got home first ad was a motorbike lock.

They can link advertising IDs off all kinds of spurious stuff, same name, same sites visited and they put two and two together...

Mind you OP describes a trash security model for the NHS where people just download any old crap, install see if it's any good...

No wonder they get hacked regularly.

@Demon
Woah dude no I didn't and you'rer talking complete crap..
IT installed the trial version for me so you need to take that back.
We can't double click EXE files.

Last edited:
I would expect the NHS to be far stricter, that is my point..

My colleague already had an older version of Nitro PDF Pro 7 on her machine but when her PC broke they refused to install it again because it was so old.
Yes I downloaded the trial but our IT have already installed Nitro PDF Pro 14 on quite a few PCs so they already have it and they suggested it to my colleague.
Stop filling blanks in with your own crap :(

appblock.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have to fill in the gaps, you simply put forward this scenario with software installation that is against all IS practices I've been subjected to for the last 20 years that are getting stricter and stricter and nothing you are angrily replying with is remotely making it any less of a eye brow raising IS policy..

WTF?
Our IT have put this program on many other machines at our Trust and it is the one they suggest, what is wrong that it's going against policies?
My Adobe Professional is from 2008 and the other one is from 2011, with all others now using Nitro since around 2015 (version 7 or thereabouts).
I was the one looking up prices and if we'd asked for Adobe we couldn't have it anyway because they install Nitro.
You really are making stuff up :)

Last edited:
Simple, all covered above:
1. They should have replaced your 2008 adobe acrobat pro a long long time ago..
2. You have insinuated from the pricing you offered that they will buy you a standalone licence for Nitro 14.. this will soon become out of date and evidenced by some of your colleagues still having Nitro 7 until their PC broke... this should be a subscription (Which Nitro offer) to ensure you are kept up to date..

The most virulent attacks are always from older software with zero day exploits.

I'm just saying that in contrast as an ISO27001 certified company that is mandated by the NHS to supply them: (https://8foldgovernance.com/hscn-compliance/#:~:text=What does this mean for,and adherence to best practices.)

We get hammered over this, and it's best practice to not allow software to get out of date:

With Adobe's policy on security updates:

Ok, I now get what you're on about.

Back
Top Bottom