Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Updated from the gov website re the cap

StvkLkx.png

So my original comment from before stands in the "scenarios"
So the question now is will Eon inform all those who signed into a more expensive tariff just before this announcement was initially made that they're better off swapping to SVT once their current tariff runs out instead of the fixed they signed into?

As its free to exit Eon Next Online tarriffs you'd think if they had morals they'd simply lower us all to the lowest cap level. We shall see.

what a silly argument.

people were only fixing to mitigate further costs, no one was doing it "happy" as you put it.
And nothing was 100% on the cards at all, the only thing that was (at the time) 100% on the cards were further price increases in January and then April.
Everyone who didn't fix was just hoping that something would come along, or they were gambling on either a government bailout or prices somehow magically reducing.
i am probably being dumb so sorry if so but havent you just said what MKW said in different words... those who fixed took a gamble incase the government were useless and didnt help anyone.

those who didnt fix took a gamble that government would help people.

both took a punt.

I hope no one loses out at the end of the day BUT if they do that is the gamble.... just like those who didnt fix, if the government had decided to let everyone sink or swim - which with this government could have been possible - i expect those complaining that they were stuck on insane high prices because they didnt fix would not have been allowed to get back into a August / september fix contract.

So the question now is will Eon inform all those who signed into a more expensive tariff just before this announcement was initially made that they're better off swapping to SVT once their current tariff runs out instead of the fixed they signed into?

As its free to exit Eon Next Online tarriffs you'd think if they had morals they'd simply lower us all to the lowest cap level. We shall see.
Your guess is as good as mine :D There will be some comms coming out soon and in my opinion i would just inform people and allow them to move themselves to the capped price as dealing with the email, call and complaint demand would be a ******* nightmare for the business by not saying anythign and letting people kick off.

what a silly argument.

people were only fixing to mitigate further costs, no one was doing it "happy" as you put it.
And nothing was 100% on the cards at all, the only thing that was (at the time) 100% on the cards were further price increases in January and then April.
Everyone who didn't fix was just hoping that something would come along, or they were gambling on either a government bailout or prices somehow magically reducing.

Lol nonsense

I was one of those who did nothing as lookinh at the projections it didnt make sense IMO
My assumption/logic was 1) there was likely to be intervention 2) the offers didnt really make sense anyway

There was a high chance the fixes would end up more expensive not mitigate costs. The fixes reflected the expected costs at that point, they would not save money if those predictions were correct.
Any fix made under that system was a fix to say you thought the future costs would keep going up. Thats a conscious decision.
You needed to be able to do the maths to work that out, suspect many didnt bother, just saw a higher number in Jan/Apr and thought fixing was cheaper.

Again, ANY fix is a gamble, you choose to fix something knowing that the certainty for you exceeds the benefits if it goes your way or negative if it goes against you

It's more of getting a cheap solar power system, so it will provide enough power for lights, washing machine, fridge, etc etc.

Rather than paying £20,000 for panels and only getting a few P for putting energy back in the national grid.
You’ll not be running a washing machine without a proper solar set up, that’s a 2kw appliance. Likewise, the lights are off when the solar is on or vice versa.

I think you need to look through the huge solar thread in home and garden for some advice.

A couple of panels and a micro inverter might take off some of your background usage like router, fridge etc but that’s about your limit without getting a proper set up.

As its free to exit you'd think if they had morals they'd simply lower us all to the lowest cap level. We shall see.
Yes - I thought it was penalty free to go to SVT (do you have to do it immediately) so earlier discourse on £300 exit fees is irrelevant

I hope no one loses out at the end of the day BUT if they do that is the gamble.... just like those who didnt fix
moreover they weren't in a position to fix (but would have maybe liked to) because not all fix tarifs were available on open market to new clients,
OFGEN gave permission to vendors to offer them exclusively to some existing clients.

@Gixer I've fired off a message to one of the ops readiness guys who deals with the price caps to query the situation where people are still over the cap after the discount and if we are communicating to them this. From looking at internal comms there doesnt seem to be anything saying we will. As you say since its no exit fees people could just switch if they are aware and it has the change to cause so much more work for us. I've posed the point it would be a good marketing and PR move to at least inform people thats the case and provide them the means to change it themselves then the decision and issue is theirs.

@Gixer I've fired off a message to one of the ops readiness guys who deals with the price caps to query the situation where people are still over the cap after the discount and if we are communicating to them this. From looking at internal comms there doesnt seem to be anything saying we will. As you say since its no exit fees people could just switch if they are aware and it has the change to cause so much more work for us. I've posed the point it would be a good marketing and PR move to at least inform people thats the case and provide them the means to change it themselves then the decision and issue is theirs.
Thanks for taking the time to do that Zenduri. Otherwise I'll be on the phone to Eon first thing on the 1st of October to ensure on the 6th October I'm put onto the SVT instead of my fixed. As will many others!

Thanks for taking the time to do that Zenduri. Otherwise I'll be on the phone to Eon first thing on the 1st of October to ensure on the 6th October I'm put onto the SVT instead of my fixed. As will many others!
No worries, yeah i imagine plenty of people will be on the phone to swap over and it makes no sense from a cost to serve perspective and bad PR front

Surely anybody with enough savvy to switch tariff and arrange a fix will also be savvy enough to decide if they need to do it again, and to what.

Surely anybody with enough savvy to switch tariff and arrange a fix will also be savvy enough to decide if they need to do it again, and to what.

spiderman-funny.gif

You would think so but you will be surprised

You are correct I do, otherwise I wouldn't be asking the questions I am. The point is it'd save me hassle and Eon a hell of a lot of hassle if they just put everyone who is signed into a fixed tariff which has zero exit fee costs on a tariff with the lowest unit cost as stated in the government's document on October the first or at the end of their current fixed term deal when it ends (if it is lower than the cap).

You are correct I do, otherwise I wouldn't be asking the questions I am. The point is it'd save me hassle and Eon a hell of a lot of hassle if they just put everyone who is signed into a fixed tariff which has zero exit fee costs on a tariff with the lowest unit cost as stated in the government's document on October the first or at the end of their current fixed term deal when it ends (if it is lower than the cap).
If you can switch to the SVR with immediate effect you'll be paying less than your fix now and from 1 October.

Based on those figures it might be cheaper for some Economy 7 users to go onto PAYG.

If you can switch to the SVR with immediate effect you'll be paying less than your fix now and from 1 October.

My current tariff, which is way cheaper than being on SVR, doesn't end until October 6th which is when my Next Online V19 is due to start. Currently only paying around 20p/kwh Elec and 4p/kwh gas. I'll just want to swap to SVR on the 6th October rather than go onto Next Online V19.

I've cleaned the link up for you, as it's unnecessarily long: https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/def...ariable_deemed_and_welcome._credit_meters.pdf

Based on those prices, things don't seem bad as what I expected. Previously I was expecting a ~76% increase in my annual figures, but, using those figures, I should expect a ~22% increase.

I'm a bit concerned that perhaps I've misinterpreted something, but I've double checked that the new prices were entered into my spreadsheet correctly. I've also made sure I've not confused regions, standing charges and units as well as payment methods.

Oh well, I should be grateful. :confused:

I wonder what the rates will be like for those still stick on those double rates that have heating lines up in the north of Scotland.

Edit: THTC.
Total Heating with Total Control.

Whatever the rates are they won't be around for long.

Our support for the meters below will end soon

If you have one, we'll be in touch to arrange a meter and tariff upgrade to keep your heating and hot water working.

Or contact our Electric Heating team now to arrange your upgrade.

My opinion on the fixes is that people affectively fixed "under duress", the fixes were often horrific deals, but it made sense based on the existing government policy which was at the time to rely on the Ofgem cap.

I think its right the floor of the discount is EPG, however the government intervened so so late, its lastminute.com, I think I would be ok if they did a backdated rebate on high fixes but maybe limit it to a 2 month period or something. I think the real bad fixes, the ones way above the EPG were mostly flowing in August time so the rebate periods shouldnt be that long of a period.

The good news is apparently according to Martin from an energy summit he got the agreement of the suppliers to waive exit fees.

I also felt intervention was inevitable as the situation was clearly not sustainable, but the uncertainty really was when it would happen and how much intervention. But the Octopus trackers I took were reasonable compared to April cap as I did it back in July and Octopus have no exit fees on them as well.

Things look fairly clear now on legacy fixed tariffs and the direction we going in, the main unknown now is what is going to happen on tracker tariffs with still no communication from Octopus. They did say in earlier blogs they will start informing customers the end of this week so I am hoping we find out soon. Although for me a subsidy would only be 1p on the unit rate.

Back
Top Bottom