This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
How do I work out the cost of my fridge freezer per annum?

Having a google around it says my class 'D' energy fridge freezer should cost around £31.20 a year to run, this was published Jan 5, 2022,

"D-rated 70/30 294-litre fridge freezer and its usage is 156 kWh a year, costing just £31.20 to run annually."

I find that very hard to believe, even if you double the cost that seems cheap, looking at the manual for my fridge freezer it says it runs @ 180w but I'm guessing it won't run at that wattage all the time?

A smart plug that measures consumption is your best bet.
Mine uses a little under a kWh a day, but if we round that up for easy maths is 365kWh a year, with a rough unit cost of 30p gives me a yearly running cost of £109.50.

Soldato
The running cost of a fridge is also entirely dependent on how often you open the door. If you have one of those people who are constantly looking in the fridge for food that isn’t there in your household, it will cost a damn site more.

Soldato
For me...

Tall fridge (no freezer) - 149KWH / Year
Chest freezer - 189KWH / Year

Combined both are using about 1kwh per day :o I barely use the freezer as most the food I cook is fresh, however it is convenient to have for the usual easy cook bits and pieces. It may have to go.

Soldato
In the 90's sure, a dishwasher is pretty standard now in a family home.

I think you'll still find most family homes do have a dish washer, some even have names.

On a more serious note I think you'll likely find most low income/council housing families do not have a dish washer as the kitchens are often not big enough.

My sister recently moved into a 3 bed new build with a decent size kitchen, it didn't have space or plumbing for a dish washer.

Soldato
I heard a tip for fridges to make them more efficient is if you don't have a lot of food in them at times then fill the empty space with jugs of water.

Correct, you can also stabilise the temperature in a greenhouse doing the exact same thing, although most would recommend barrels rather than jugs or bottles!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yea but if we all have that mindset how will anything ever change in even the slightest way.

My point is that there is little point in everyone in the UK optimising their energy use to the nth degree when in the US they still consider anything over 30mpg an economical car and run air con to keep their homes a bit cooler all summer.

You don't micro optimise until the macro is sorted.

If you want people to lose quality of life and spend more time doing things to save a tiny bit of energy, you probably don't want people saying "Americans use 3x the amount you did when you didn't give many *****" and it be true.

Soldato
My point is that there is little point in everyone in the UK optimising their energy use to the nth degree when in the US they still consider anything over 30mpg an economical car and run air con to keep their homes a bit cooler all summer.

You don't micro optimise until the macro is sorted.

If you want people to lose quality of life and spend more time doing things to save a tiny bit of energy, you probably don't want people saying "Americans use 3x the amount you did when you didn't give many *****" and it be true.

If everyone in the UK is able to half their electric usage by being more economical with what they do that is a huge amount over a year regardless. So it might be a micro to a personal basis but is still a macro to the the UK as a whole.

Associate
Hi all, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice or point me to somewhere I can get some.

So, my fixed price contact ends later this month with Eon and u have been offered 3 new options, 1 flex contract and 2 fixed. I'm unsure whether it's best to continue on a fixed contract which with be more expensive per month or go on a flex contract which per month at the moment would be cheaper.

How can I work out what the best approach is?

Many thanks.

What are the unit rates and standing charges for all 3 options? That's the only way to work it out.

Here's the info I can see, is this what's needed? Thanks

Current Ends 23/4 - Currently paying £210.00 a month
Electricity - 16.60 p/kWh 18.90 p/day - Usage 5,419kWh
Gas - 2.91 p/kWh 17.43 p/day - Usage 8,637kWh

Next Flex - £204.71 a month
Electricity - 29.24p per kWh 37.92p per day
Gas - 7.34p per kWh 27.22p per day

Next Online v13 - £283.34
Electricity - 41.81p per kWh 37.92p per day
Gas - 10.38p per kWh 27.22p per day

Next 1 Year v10 - £340.20
Electricity - 48.29p per kWh 39.00p per day
Gas - 14.40p per kWh 21.58p per day

Soldato
Current Ends 23/4 - Currently paying £210.00 a month
Electricity - 16.60 p/kWh 18.90 p/day - Usage 5,419kWh
Gas - 2.91 p/kWh 17.43 p/day - Usage 8,637kWh

Next Flex - £204.71 a month
Electricity - 29.24p per kWh 37.92p per day
Gas - 7.34p per kWh 27.22p per day

How is next flex less than your current payment when the rates are a lot higher? Doesnt make sense.

Soldato
If everyone in the UK is able to half their electric usage by being more economical with what they do that is a huge amount over a year regardless. So it might be a micro to a personal basis but is still a macro to the the UK as a whole.

100% Just because others aren't very good at it why shouldn't we continue to make our own efforts. No one has mentioned about quality of life reductions, just simple effective things which most of us have never really had to think about, can make a difference to the climate and the wallet.

fez

fez

Caporegime

A 50% saving is not a small scale change here and there for most people. Thats a massive and probably unachievable change for most in the UK. We could get nowhere near that unless we didn't drive to a lot of things i.e we didn't do a lot of things. I would wager most people are the same.

When I am talking micro vs macro I mean that someone in the UK saving 10% off their already 66% lower energy usage vs their US counterpart means that they might go from lets say 3.3 down to 3 whereas an American cutting down an easy 20% probably just by using a car that gets more than 3MPG would make a massively larger difference going from 10 -> 8. If a company is looking to save a lot of money they don't ask people not to use too many pens, they cut business class flights and expensive client meals and get smaller offices. You target the big spends first and then you worry about micro optimising.

I'm sure there are some people who have huge carbon footprints in the UK but they are unlikely to cut back or care because they are likely rich. Most of us don't have that much fat to trim which is why I am saying that trying to get people in the UK to cut their emissions / usage a lot is silly when countries like the US are still really really bad.

Back
Top Bottom