This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

S_T

S_T

Associate
So the projections for October are currently £2801 according to today's Times, approximately another 40% increase above the rates today. The cap for last winter was £1277. If this projection is accurate then running the CH this coming winter is going to cost twice as much. An average 24Kwh combi system will cost more than £2 an hour to run by my rough maths.

Associate
So the projections for October are currently £2801 according to today's Times, approximately another 40% increase above the rates today. The cap for last winter was £1277. If this projection is accurate then running the CH this coming winter is going to cost twice as much. An average 24Kwh combi system will cost more than £2 an hour to run by my rough maths.

On the news gas prices will go up every 3 months people will suffer this winter the government refuses to do anything and allows these companies generate record profits

Reactions: S_T
Caporegime
On the news gas prices will go up every 3 months people will suffer this winter the government refuses to do anything and allows these companies generate record profits
I don’t think you understand how it works if you just get angry cause of what you hear on the news. How can a government impact a global commodity price. Why should U.K. citizens benefit from tax windfalls of gas that is sold globally ?

The key should be reducing energy usage and fund new developments - like wind. Not just subsidising it. Subsiding doesn’t push development of new energy sources nor encourage lower energy use.

The government are already doing something via the price cap. Without that people would be really struggling right now

Last edited:

S_T

S_T

Associate

I'm not sure people are quite realising how much the bills are actually going to increase. Many of the poorest have probably pulled themselves from DD payments and are probably paying the same per month now as they were during the previous winter, so the difficulty is yet to start. Even DD's are not accounting for the imminent October increase. My bills last winter at the cap of £1277 were routinely above £150 so should be approx £300, yet my supplier wants me to only pay £160 at the moment so I don't build up "too much credit".

Soldato
the government refuses to do anything
Yes energy prices are high and yes we dislike the government.

However you just posted complete rubbish.

To remind you - This is what the Government has done to reduce the impact of the global high gas price
- The price cap is protecting all energy consumers from the real energy cost.
- There is a £150 Countil tax rebate for most home owners
- There is a £200 reduction on energy bills this autumn (paid back over 5 years)

This support package is worth over £9bn (on top of the existing £12 billion support the government is providing for the cost of living this financial year and next)

What are you proactively doing to reduce energy use/costs, or improving your income, anything, or just pointing the blame somewhere else ?!

Last edited:
Soldato

To remind you - This is what the Government has done to reduce the impact of the global high gas price
- There is a £200 reduction on energy bills this autumn (paid back over 5 years)

This support package is worth over £9bn (on top of the existing £12 billion support the government is providing for the cost of living this financial year and next)

What are you proactively doing to reduce energy use/costs, or improving your income, anything, or just pointing the blame somewhere else ?!

I don't get the £150 Council tax rebate because my house it one band too high and the £200 reduction on energy bills is a worthless lone.

Associate

This support package is worth over £9bn

What are you proactively doing to reduce energy use/costs - anything, or just pointing the blame somewhere else ?!

How exactly is pushing someone's energy direct debit from sub 100 a month to over 400 protecting consumers?

Personally I am in a position to absorb the cost but for others it will be a nightmare

Soldato
I don't get the £150 Council tax rebate because my house it one band too high and the £200 reduction on energy bills is a worthless lone.
Same here - but we don’t really need it, and I’d rather it went to someone who does need it.
On the £200 rebate loan, it will help people who really struggle to raise money to pay their bill.If it’s worthless to you then sounds like you don’t need support anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
How exactly is pushing someone's energy direct debit from sub 100 a month to over 400 protecting consumers?
Without the price cap, monthly bills would be higher - that’s protection.
Protection isn’t providing full financial support to everyone.

Subsidising the increase, or taxing companies more will just mean higher taxes for everyone in the future, or energy companies cutting UK investment hurting future energy growth.

Associate

Not all consumers. Not everyone is on a variable tariff and the cap does NOT apply to new accounts/tariffs with providers.

-
Also known as "kicking the can down the road" and completely worthless unless caps and bills reduce by £40 next year. Any bets on this?

Soldato
Not all consumers. Not everyone is on a variable tariff and the cap does NOT apply to new accounts/tariffs with providers.
If you choose to pass on the cheaper Variable rate, and pay more by going for a fixed rate, then that‘s your decision.
Everyone has the choice of going onto the price cap, so yes, it DOES apply to new accounts with providers.

Associate
If you choose to pass on the cheaper Variable rate, and pay more by going for a fixed rate, then that‘s your decision.
Everyone has the choice of going onto the price cap, so yes, it DOES apply to new accounts with providers.
I was not given the option when I opened the energy account on my new build house. Maybe partly through my own ignorance that I didn't demand it...

Caporegime
Anyone got any suggestions solutions then or just here to whinge ?

I think most people will have higher bills yes but I think most people never really thought about how to save energy either. So whilst the units rates are going up and the ‘average’ number the press love to use. I think reality will be that people are now more aware of the energy they use and will drop their consumption.

Associate
We need to reduce demand for energy. What if we were to mandate moving everyone to smart meters, that way we could charge X amount for first 4 kWh electricity used, then increase the charge per kWh used in tiers, that way the heaviest users would pay the most.

Soldato
We need to reduce demand for energy. What if we were to mandate moving everyone to smart meters, that way we could charge X amount for first 4 kWh electricity used, then increase the charge per kWh used in tiers, that way the heaviest users would pay the most.
Some people have large families or need medical equipment hooked up how is that fair?

Ban Netflix's etc from 2000-0600 turn the internet of for domestic users from 2000-0600.

Quite easy to do if you have a smart meter, sign s register of your vulnerable to be exempt.

Put a tax on high energy item like graphics cards, ban all psu over 300w.
Ban the sale of obscene TV's I grew up with a massive 20" TV. Is

Stop shops from leaving items and lights on when closed.

Rolling brown outs

brownout
/ˈbraʊnaʊt/

noun
NORTH AMERICAN
noun: brown-out
  1. a reduction in or restriction on the availability of electrical power in a particular area.
    "the cities are experiencing brownouts as air conditioners are switched into overdrive"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom