this sucks

Soldato
right i just dont no what to do with my pc atm, am looking to upgrade in a week or so but with the new new amd socket coming out in june ( i think) and the nvidia 7900 out in march i just dont no if i should upgrade no or later am looking the following spec system

Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
XFX GeForce 7800GTX Extreme XXX Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Tagan TG530-U15 530W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler

am going to be using the bits that i can out of my old rig like the cpu, hd, memory, so the question is should i wait or should i go for it its got to last me at least a year so with that in mind i can upgrade the cpu to a dual core chip and add another gpu at a later date it needed

Associate
Ask yourself this: Is your gaming experience limited by your current rig? If yes, then by all means buy a new one. You'll have months of benefits from it by the time the new stuff comes out and becomes bug free. AFAIK the 7900 is just going to be a 7800 on 65nm. Its not an entirely different architecture and therefore won't be massively faster than an x1900 (I'll guess 20%, maybe a bit more). If you can play all the games you want at reasonable settings (or settings you are happy with) then theres not much point in upgrading yet.

But, you could wait forever to upgrade. After the 7900 and AM2 is released, you could wait on ATIs answer and the next big AM2, or if you cant afford it, the current big AM2 (FX62) to come down in price.

Basically you should just make your decision on whether the rig you have now does or doesn't do all you want.

Soldato
Yeah dont bother with the 7800gs, it's just a 6800ultra really which you seem to have already :o
How is it on its way out?

edit - I would go for the x1900 over the 7800gtx btw. Dont be fooled by the XXX bit :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i have been overclocking it to much and its starting to show artys on it in games its well cooled with temps not rising above 50c in bf2 and i have check it on another system with the same results i have tryed resetting the bios but with no look, also the main point of me getting a gtx is so i can get another one at a later date so i can have an sli rig with my new monitor :D

Soldato
Yep, i would change to PCIE if in your situation.

Have to agree getting the X1900XTX is the way to go, faster than 7800GTX in SLI most of the time & cheaper too.

Most people who say get one card & then another later for SLI, realize by the time they want to go SLI they can sell original card & get a cheaper next generation single card for a similar price. Besides the Nvidia top end cards are overpriced at the moment.

Soldato
OP
just found out from work that i will not be getting my dell widescreen for home instead its going to stay at work which is b**ls**t was looking forward to playing bf2 in widscreen so now i dont have a reason for an sli rig or crossfire there would be no point in me having it with just a 1280*1024 screen so would i be better of with one 1900 or a 7800gtx 215 card ????? which would give me the best performance in bf2 and other new games :confused:

Back
Top Bottom