Thomson 585 queries

Associate
Hi,

I am new to wireless networking (aka a complete new starter) and am interested in getting the Thomson 585 modem/router/firewall

Right now I have a thomson 536 modem and it suites me well for my ''wired'' pcs, but obviously incompatible with my forthcoming 2 laptops, hence my thomson 585 choice.

I have some queries if you don't mind:
1) is the range good on the thomson 585? (my friend's MSI is apparently crap)
2) will i able to have 2 wired pcs via cat6 and 2 wireless laptops on the same thomson 585?
3) will i have local network between the 2 laptops, between the 2 wired pcs and between all of the pcs & laptops?
4) should I keep my thomson 536 (for adsl) and get a better wireless routers? any suggestions?

thanks for any info!

Soldato
macachia said:
1) is the range good on the thomson 585? (my friend's MSI is apparently crap)
It's good. Covers the whole of our (terraced) house and back yard. I can also get an ok signal from a friends house across the street.

macachia said:
2) will i able to have 2 wired pcs via cat6 and 2 wireless laptops on the same thomson 585?
Yep. It has 4 ethernet ports for wired devices

macachia said:
3) will i have local network between the 2 laptops, between the 2 wired pcs and between all of the pcs & laptops?
Yep. Use infrastructure mode and all the pc will communicate with the internet, and to each other, via the router

macachia said:
4) should I keep my thomson 536 (for adsl) and get a better wireless routers? any suggestions?
Will probably be as cheap and easier to get the 585i which is a very good router for the price

Back
Top Bottom