Those top xx Movie lists...

Soldato
Me and the other half are looking for a Top 50/100/10/25 movies list that we can work our way through - however we're after one that sort of excludes older stuff - mainly because we're only 20/21 and she'll get bored but B&W and older stuff.

So just wondering if anyone knew of a list twith movies from say roughly 1975 onwards. Or a list which has most of it's films from recent times?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
*rubs eyes* is he asking for what I think hes asking for?

:D

Closest thing I can find is THIS

But I'd always regret using a list that had the South Park movie in it I think :rolleyes:

I know it sounds silly but shes a typical 20 year old girl - they may be utterly amazing films but they are in B&W so they are silly and not good. Same with cars - she simply won't buy a red car :p

Soldato
OP
Maybe this? You can skip over the older/b&w films if you like, wouldn't recommend it though.

Considered it - but don't like using IMDB as proper ratings. People can vote a film 9/10 yet it may be the only film they've seen for years. Proper crictic lists at least are more balenced and avoid public surges in popular movies.

Commissario
Peerzy, what age would you have as the cut off for older stuff?

I ask as it's subjective, for some Star Wars and Aliens would be "old" ;) whilst even some newer stuff is black and white - Clerks for example.

I think the suggestion of trying a general top X list, and ignoring the films before your chosen date might be good:)

Man of Honour
Generally I find the IMDB list to be not too bad, there's usually an initial surge whereby more modern films will come in rather higher than they potentially deserve but over time things tend to level out and films assume their rightful place. If you're not willing to watch old and/or black and white films then that would mean you've got to miss Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, Dr Strangelove, The Third Man and Seven Samurai amongst others which are horrendous omissions from any list of greatest films.

Soldato
OP
Cheers everyone, we just want a good list of films to work through and cross off. The stuff you should see before you die - yet I know she won't really be up for watching anything old. Hard to define old really - I was thinking 1975-1980 onwards really.

I'll take the best of IMDB and a few other lists and just remove the B&W and older stuff.

Obviously we're going to miss some cracking films but theres no point watching something when she is gonna be bored stiff and simply not want to get into it.

Movies I've borrowed\bought for us to potentially watch tonight are Green Mile, Usual Suspects, The Departed and Jurassik Park (Which I've seen but she hasn't).

Associate
If i were you i would find out her favourite film of all time and then make her watch it on a tv with the colour turned right down so it was in black and white. See if she says the film is rubbish, if she does 'kick her to the curb' :D

Soldato
If it's any help I would never have watched a black and white film before I started working my way through the IMDB (omitting any film I judge to be artificially elevated) list and I found myself really enjoying "Seven Samurai", "Dr Strangelove" and, to a lesser extent, "12 Angry Men" all of which were black and white.

For me it was sort of like subtitles, you stop noticing after a while that you're reading a film, or seeing it in black and white.

You could always work through the top films from the eighties, nineties and naughties of course.

Caporegime
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Just ignore the ones from before the date you like

But 1975 does mean you'll missout on the godfather

Also if you click on them you can get a full breakdown of the

"male/female/age group" of all the voters so can pick the oens that your age group likes etc :p

just loo kat the shawshank it rates pretty much the same in every demographic, so it's a great film regardless of your age or gender :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom