Those who garage your motorbike, do you use an indoor cover?

Associate
My bike is garaged however i've noticed a layer of dust builds up on it over time so i'm thinking about buying a breathable dust cover to keep the dust off.
I don't want to trap moisture, but i suppose the "breathable" covers won't? Do you use such a cover? Any recommendations for 1? (I've seen SBS do an Oxford indoor cover for under £20).

Soldato
My poor bike has to live outside, but my dad keeps his in his garage. He just uses a fabric type one which for indoor use is totally fine. Not waterproof, so naturally breathable. Soft. Will also keep off the dust.
E: I'm not sure it's even a bike dust cover, it may even just be a cloth "tarp" used to cover the floor when decorating. I'll ping him a message later and ask
E2: It's a decorator's type cover. Works fine. I totally understand where you're coming from as well, wanting to keep it dust free and nice :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My poor bike has to live outside, but my dad keeps his in his garage. He just uses a fabric type one which for indoor use is totally fine. Not waterproof, so naturally breathable. Soft. Will also keep off the dust.
E: I'm not sure it's even a bike dust cover, it may even just be a cloth "tarp" used to cover the floor when decorating. I'll ping him a message later and ask
E2: It's a decorator's type cover. Works fine. I totally understand where you're coming from as well, wanting to keep it dust free and nice :)
Thinking about it you're right, I can just use something like a bedsheet as they are naturally breathable, don't need to buy a cover really.

Last edited:
Soldato
I cover it over winter when she's resting - as invariably stuff ends up getting put on top, or rested against the bike, so it's protection of sort (nothing weighty mind) - sometimes bung a bunch of old towels/blankets on it too. Not too fussed on it getting dusty or cobwebs, as it's usually covered in splattered bugs anyway

Associate
OP
^^^ I used it yesterday for the 1st time in just over a month and there was quite a thick film of dust over the whole bike meaning it needs cleaning or hosing down to remove it, I want to avoid that if i can.

Associate
Maybe this is an excuse to do some fancy pants garage improvement work :D.

Assuming the dust is going to be from the concrete base... Put a floor down, board the walls, insulate the roof, get lots of power and light.

I mean only one of those is to solve the problem but the rest are good fun too :D.

Caporegime
No. I sometimes think that when it's really cold and condensation can form inside the garage the cover, no matter how breathable, might hold some of the moisture in encouraging rust.

Not only that but any dust or crud can cause scratches when installing or removing the cover. Small risk but when it's your baby, rather not.

This doesn't apply to my scooter obviously, it's a workhorse and gets treated accordingly :p

Associate
OP
No. I sometimes think that when it's really cold and condensation can form inside the garage the cover, no matter how breathable, might hold some of the moisture in encouraging rust.
When it gets cold come wintertime i won't be using any cover for exactly the reason you mentioned. At the moment though while it's warm i'm using an old bed sheet.

Associate
I use a cover inside my garage when I can be bothered to put it on. Dust doesn't bother me but the cover does prevent spiders from building cobwebs around the dash.
It probably also prevents tiny surface scratches caused by me squeezing myself past the bike in a very cramped garage.

Associate
OP
I've ordered a Carcoon Indoor Bike Bubble for the cold/wet winter months. If you're not aware of them here's the blurb :

"Bikebubble creates a protective, mini-environment around the bike. Within the storage environment, air is continuously re-circulated using Activated Carbon filters. The result of this inner circulation means that the bike is effectively stored in its own ‘clean room’ and is protected from the elements during the damp winter months."

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I wouldn't use a waterproof outside cover indoors, it'll trap moisture and it'll do no good to your bike... You can throw something breathable, like someone suggested above an old lightweight bedsheet over it. I would still air out the garage every other week and take off the cover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom