Thoughts of rift against 3d vision...

Associate
OP
3D vision is nothing like VR though. It didn't take off because it had too many drawbacks and never completely made you feel like you were actually in the game. I have had more "wow" moments in a couple of days of VR than I have had in the years that I tried 3D.

And sometimes I wonder, for the people that say 3D is better than VR because of the picture quality, have they actually tried VR at all?

Not once when using 3D vision have I ever felt like I was actually there. Even with the poor graphics, VR has made me lose myself completely in game. Even though I am wearing a big, warm headset and holding two controllers, I become so immersed in the VR world that I don't even notice them anymore.

Never once in 3D have I tried to jump out of way of objects coming at me.

Never in 3D have I tried to put a table tennis bat down on a table that doesn't exist and then two minutes later fall down, nearly breaking my face off a wall, by trying to lean on that non existing table to reach a shot.

And Never once in 3D have I stood on a tall cliff or high building and worry about falling off!!

For me 3D wasn't awesome. It was just a gimmick to make games/movies look a little better. It never achieved what it was trying to do, and that was to make you believe you were there. And 3D never really caught on because of this. Most people are watching a 3D movie or playing a 3D game are like "meh"

My family's reaction to 3D and VR is what sums it up for me. I demoed 3D movies and games and they were like "oh" and "ah" but not once has anyone asked to watch a 3D movie or play a 3D game . Now, compare that to VR, it's been in use nearly every weekend since I bought it. The family can't get enough. And the arrival of the controllers has made it even more popular.

If my family's reaction is anything to go by then VR is going to do really well.

It made the graphics look better. I am not saying that it made you feel there. The gaming was never marketed as feeling like vr. It just looked a lot better. So if an upgrade from high 2d to ultra 2d is worth it, then why isnt the jump from 2d to 3d.
Same as you, i have had a lot more wow moments in VR than 3dv, but i also had a lot more wow moments in 3dv compared to 2d. (please do not include movies, movies were "meh" for sure, best 3d movies 4/10 game 9/10 apples and oranges).

I can post pics of my setup if you need proof that i own oculus touch. I think it is fairly obvious that 3dv having much higher dpi than vr will have the effect of things looking more real. I just say that how awesome will it be when vr is what it is now with that dpi. WOW. It will also stop people asking me why it is blurry when they first try. They dont say it to point out a caveat, they do it because they genuinely think they havent put the hmd on in the correct way.

So in my opinion a great tech can get overlooked and die quite easily. The reason why i started this thread, was unlike you, my experience of my vr with touch has been much the same as 3dv. People saying wow thats cool. But in my reality, no one has asked for another go. They say its cool, but no one has gone out and bought one. My friends say cool the same as they said with 3dv, but up to now not one of them has bought one either, instead choosing £650 gfx cards instead.

Soldato
It made the graphics look better. I am not saying that it made you feel there. The gaming was never marketed as feeling like vr. It just looked a lot better. So if an upgrade from high 2d to ultra 2d is worth it, then why isnt the jump from 2d to 3d.
Same as you, i have had a lot more wow moments in VR than 3dv, but i also had a lot more wow moments in 3dv compared to 2d. (please do not include movies, movies were "meh" for sure, best 3d movies 4/10 game 9/10 apples and oranges).

I can post pics of my setup if you need proof that i own oculus touch. I think it is fairly obvious that 3dv having much higher dpi than vr will have the effect of things looking more real. I just say that how awesome will it be when vr is what it is now with that dpi. WOW. It will also stop people asking me why it is blurry when they first try. They dont say it to point out a caveat, they do it because they genuinely think they havent put the hmd on in the correct way.

So in my opinion a great tech can get overlooked and die quite easily. The reason why i started this thread, was unlike you, my experience of my vr with touch has been much the same as 3dv. People saying wow thats cool. But in my reality, no one has asked for another go. They say its cool, but no one has gone out and bought one. My friends say cool the same as they said with 3dv, but up to now not one of them has bought one either, instead choosing £650 gfx cards instead.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you hadn't a VR headset, was talking about people that I have met through work etc.

VR and 3D are different. VR is already much more accessible than 3D ever was. It's on mobile phones, consoles and PCs. There are a wide variety of manufacturers already making headsets.

And It's much more than just gaming and movies, think of training, virtual tours etc. It's very social too with apps like Big Screen and Rec room etc. Like yesterday I spent about 45 minutes paintballing and then played some table tennis for 30 minutes against a friend who lives over 100 miles from me.

I know what you are saying about the techs not taking off and using 3D visions as an example. But, 3D, at the end of the day was only a slightly better, more immersive way of playing games and watching movies. Whereas VR has the potential to go far beyond that.

Associate
OP
Yeh i agree with what you are saying...
Eleven:table tennis is gobsmacking. I also like the idea used in DOTA 2. So much better watching a competitive game in an arena with other fans walking around the same "cinema" room. Then when you want to get into the action real time, you can click on the big screen, then BAM you're "in" the game watching dota play out at real life scale.
Dead and buried... other games too. That feeling of presence. of being in the room with someone. This is why i may come across fustrated, because i NEED some of my real life friends to get into it with me. I can only imagine how good it is playing co op horde with people i know, high fiving, laughing as i see my friend hit the floor going prone when he is nearly headshotted!

Associate
I've had both, 3d vision dosnt even get anywhere close to how good the rift is in my opinion. There's no chance 3d vision could give you the sense of scale or presence vr gives even in its early stages

Soldato
Sc00p007;30396321 said:
What did you try out?
I would recommend atleast an hour by yourself, with a selection of different medium. I am with the poster above.

Thats the problem. Access to a VR machine for an hour with different medium. Its not common place. There is no where within 50 miles at least where I could do this. If there is its not advertised well.
I have tried it for a very small amount of time but mentioned in another thread and its definitely not for me. Dont think I am compatible. ;)
Dirt Showdown was amazing in 3D though.

Associate
OP
It's a shame it isn't more accessible. One of the points i made was, i have mine 100% accessible to my gamer pc enthusiast friends. Had the rift since September, the touch from the beginning of December. 1 has made the 5 minute journey.
It's frustrating, because my friends away from gaming have had a go and really liked it. But i need my gamer friends in on it too. Itching for some 2v2 dead and buried with 3 people i know.

Back
Top Bottom