• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thoughts on Gigabyte GPU's as of late?

Associate
I stumbled upon a great deal on a 3080 Ti in my country namely this model: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC 12G LHR. It's around 550£, but I did read some nightmare situations with other owners of this model & other Gigabyte GPU's so I'm kind of on the fence. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Soldato
I had a Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC for a while and it was perfectly fine. I've had other Gigabyte cards too and never had an issue with them. I wouldn't pay any attention to brand fanboys (or people who summarily dismiss a certain company), personally. I always see Palit getting called a terrible, low-tier brand that you shouldn't buy, yet two of the quietest cards I've ever owned were from them (a 980 Ti JetStream and a 1080 GameRock). Every company makes good and bad stuff. It comes down to the product itself, not the logo on the box.

Associate
OP
Used to have Palit too because most of the time they were the cheapest but ran flawlessly. My 780/Ti, 1080 they ran great, good OC on both. Mainly my concerns stem from the recent D4 beta with people having their 3080 Ti's getting fried which can be complete BS if you know it's a BETA & problems arise, had to put a frame cap with my 5700XT from the start because it would go to insane FPS during loading & cutscenes. Thanks for the feedback.

Associate
I have the Gigabyte 3090 Vision and it has been fine for over 2 years now. The memory chips do run ridiculously hot however due to the rubbish thermal pads they used in these. Imagine the 3080 would be a bit cooler however with less memory and none on the back of the PCB.

Caporegime
Ive had a 1050ti , a 2070 super and a 3060 from Gigabyte. All of which have been perfectly fine.

Don't know anything about the model you are looking at though.

Soldato
I stumbled upon a great deal on a 3080 Ti in my country namely this model: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC 12G LHR. It's around 550£, but I did read some nightmare situations with other owners of this model & other Gigabyte GPU's so I'm kind of on the fence. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you!

I'm guessing that's a used price ? If the card has warranty still on it and the person will help with warranty issues then not a bad a buy, if new well go for it if it comes from a real store and not some ebay scam sold as new.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm guessing that's a used price ? If the card has warranty still on it and the person will help with warranty issues then not a bad a buy, if new well go for it if it comes from a real store and not some ebay scam sold as new.
It's a legitimate store, I actually am in retail myself so I know it might be hassle free when it comes to warranty.

Associate
my Gigabyte 6800XT has been a trooper so far, long may it continue.

Soldato
Best to read up on actual reviews of the product you buying then getting sweeping generalisations on the brand as a whole. I couldn't find a review the Ti model by the RTC 3080 OC Gaming was reviewed by HUB and it did pretty well and has no obvious flaws.

I don't see any reason why these outcomes wouldn't carry over to the Ti model since it's the same die with a slightly different memory configuration.

Associate
OP
Best to read up on actual reviews of the product you buying then getting sweeping generalisations on the brand as a whole. I couldn't find a review the Ti model by the RTC 3080 OC Gaming was reviewed by HUB and it did pretty well and has no obvious flaws.

I don't see any reason why these outcomes wouldn't carry over to the Ti model since it's the same die with a slightly different memory configuration.
Never seeb this review so I better check it out. Thank you!

Soldato
I have the Gigabyte 3090 Vision and it has been fine for over 2 years now. The memory chips do run ridiculously hot however due to the rubbish thermal pads they used in these. Imagine the 3080 would be a bit cooler however with less memory and none on the back of the PCB.

Yea I have a gigabyte 3070 and like you been fine for two years, but like your it does also run hotter than it should.

Man of Honour
I have the 3070 Vision OC and after going back to air cooling and removing the water block I changed the thermal pads for decent ones plus I thought that as it has a metal backplate that Gigabyte only added for aesthetic reasons I thought I would make use of it. I stuck a thermal pad on the rear of the gpu chip itself and the back plate is now removing heat from that area. I don't know if it has made any difference to temps but in my book removing a source of heat is a good thing and as the card is slap bang in the middle of the airflow from the front and rear 200mm fans the heat is carried away quickly.

Back
Top Bottom