Thoughts on the EK-MLC PHOENIX 360MM AIO?

Soldato
I'm wondering if anyone has one of these and could let me know how it performs and importantly (for me at least) how loud the pump is at idle CPU clocks.

I've had Corsair and Be Quiet AIOs in the past and never really been happy with them as the pump was always audible at idle. With all the fans running at super low RPM's the pump would always been the loudest thing in my case. I'm wondering if the EK might actually be closer to being inaudible at idle than other AIOs?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Anyone?

I'm thinking about cancelling my order (its still out of stock) as i've been reading quite a lot about how it's actually quite a noisy unit with the pump in particular emitting an annoyingly loud whine.

Soldato
OP
Alphacool Eisbaer 360.
I've used several AIO watercoolers over the last few years and the Alphacool is head and shoulders over anything.

I've been reading a little about them but I cant seem to find out what the differences are between the 360 that goes for about £150 and the the LT360 that OCUK sells for £100. Which version do you have?

Permabanned
I have the full fat non-lt version.
Not 100% sure what all the differences are but the non-lt version seems to have a larger block/pump assembly.
Assume it's a higher quality pump and block compared to the lt version

Associate
I've been reading a little about them but I cant seem to find out what the differences are between the 360 that goes for about £150 and the the LT360 that OCUK sells for £100. Which version do you have?

LT has 25mm radiation, fullfat has 30mm.

LT has no reservoir, fullfat has a small res built in to pump\block combo.

They share the same pump, hose and fans.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info guys.

Can i assume they perform the same acoustically if they share the same pump? Noise is my primary concern with performance second.

Permabanned
I've used Corsair AIO's, Swiftech H220 AIO's and the orginal EK Predator 240 and 360 AIO's - the Eisbaer 360 was the quietest and best performer of the bunch.
IMO the alphacool AIO's dont get enough recongnition or attention.

Soldato
All Corsiar AIOs are CLC. Many users consider AIOs and CLCs as different kinds of pre-assembled systems because AIOs that are not CLC are component systems. CLCs are factory built systems with no provision to take apart and fix or even add coolant. AIOs are like custom loops that components can be changed / added and coolant can be topped up, flushed and replaced.

Swiftech, EK Predator, Eisbaer and be quiet! Silent Loop are AIOs that are not CLC.

The differences between AIOs that are not CLC and CLCs are AIOs have threaded fittings, higher flowrate pumps, copper radiators etc.

So basically we have 3 groups of liquid cooled loops with custom loops being the best, AIOs now as good as custom loops but still much better than CLCs and CLCs that are make to last a few years (2 years if on high heat CPU) and be thrown away.

CLCs are the most expensive in cost per year of use cooling system there is.

AIOs that are not CLC are much better than CLCs but not as good as a mid-level or higher custom loop .. but a custom loop costs at least 3 times as much as most expensive AIO.

Associate
I have literally just gone from a CLC (Enermax Liqmax II 120s) to a full kit. The Liqmax stopped working after 4 years of use and is not designed to be refilled\flushed\serviced. That alone made my mind up that I would not be buying another CLC.

I've installed a Alphacool Nexxxos Cool Answer 120 D5\UT. My load temps now are roughly what my idle temps used to be and the system is a lot quieter too.

I have to stick to 120mm systems as I have a Silverstone FT02.

Got to say that the install process wasn't that difficult and was actually quite enjoyable working out installation positions and tube routing. Would absolutely recommend it over any CLC.

Associate
did you never turn the pump down at idle?

On the CLC, no. I've actually stripped it down to see what the problem was. The pump is still fine it was the block that was clogged and that most of the liquid was gone. Drained it and there was nearly 60ml in there. Multiple flushes and then refilled and rebuilt it. Now going in to storage as an emergency spare. It's only a 15mm aluminium radiator (Enermax state dimensions of 27mm but that's cosmetic side plates to make it look thicker than it is) and holds less than 200ml of fluid when full.

New system holds 1 litre of fluid, pump pushes 350l\hr, radiator is copper and 60mm. Quite a difference.

Soldato
I have literally just gone from a CLC (Enermax Liqmax II 120s) to a full kit. The Liqmax stopped working after 4 years of use and is not designed to be refilled\flushed\serviced. That alone made my mind up that I would not be buying another CLC.

I've installed a Alphacool Nexxxos Cool Answer 120 D5\UT. My load temps now are roughly what my idle temps used to be and the system is a lot quieter too.

I have to stick to 120mm systems as I have a Silverstone FT02.

Got to say that the install process wasn't that difficult and was actually quite enjoyable working out installation positions and tube routing. Would absolutely recommend it over any CLC.
Indeed, it's not hard to build a H2O loop. Sure, it takes a few hours to assemble everything, then a few more to leak test. But like you said, that's all part of the fun.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go Alphacool NexXxos vs AIO like Alphacool Eisbaer, be quiet! Silent Loop or Swiftech H series? I can think of several reasons to or not to, but am curious to hear yours. ;)

Associate
Indeed, it's not hard to build a H2O loop. Sure, it takes a few hours to assemble everything, then a few more to leak test. But like you said, that's all part of the fun.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go Alphacool NexXxos vs AIO like Alphacool Eisbaer, be quiet! Silent Loop or Swiftech H series? I can think of several reasons to or not to, but am curious to hear yours. ;)

Flexibility of the install for one. Having a FT02 case means limited (extremely) locations for install. No room for 240/280/360 rads in there. I don't want to change case either.

Choice of components offered was another. Did quite a bit of reading and decided I wanted a D5 pump. Didn't want to go down the road of " I wish I'd got the better one instead". Radiator needed to be copper too. Bay res was almost a must due to space limitations.

Did the measurements and worked out the 60mm rad would fit with 2 x ML120 fans in push/pull into the 120mm exhaust position and still allow access to the CPU.

Then the final point was the price. Considering the pump/res combo sells for £137 getting the whole kit for £161 seemed like a steal. Especially vs a Corsair H80i for £90.

Soldato
Flexibility of the install for one. Having a FT02 case means limited (extremely) locations for install. No room for 240/280/360 rads in there. I don't want to change case either.

Choice of components offered was another. Did quite a bit of reading and decided I wanted a D5 pump. Didn't want to go down the road of " I wish I'd got the better one instead". Radiator needed to be copper too. Bay res was almost a must due to space limitations.

Did the measurements and worked out the 60mm rad would fit with 2 x ML120 fans in push/pull into the 120mm exhaust position and still allow access to the CPU.

Then the final point was the price. Considering the pump/res combo sells for £137 getting the whole kit for £161 seemed like a steal. Especially vs a Corsair H80i for £90.
Good sound reasoning. Now all you need to do is service it with a flush and refill with new coolant every year or so and it will last you a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom