Thoughts?

Soldato
Can already see from the photos the rear bumper isn't the same colour as most of the other car.

I wouldn't spend £16k on any sort of Cat N of this type. Especially not from some guy on Facebook who lives in Birmingham. Don't get me wrong, there are times where a Cat N car make sense - on cherished car that's 15 years old and worth a few grand and someone dents the door and wing on it in a car park and the insurance estimator says that it's going to cost £2000 to fix the £4000 car, when in reality, most people would just get a used door from a spare car, or find another much much more economical way of fixing it.

Apart from the bumper, it looks nice in photos, but you can make any car look nice in photos from 3 metres away. The devil is always in the detail - and normally when you start looking back the shiny out layer. I've seen so many cars that are listed as "CAT C light parking damage" and then someone posts the photo of the cars actual damage that they have found online and it's mad what they will allow to return to the road these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
A quick Google shows something like this, which is "only a Cat D" so obviously that means it wasn't too bad...

https://ukcarstuff.wordpress.com/2018/01/31/before-after-accident-repair-vw-golf-gtd-dsg/

before-after-repair-catc-salvage-damage-write-off1.png

Caporegime
That is not 6k cheaper, I looked at a 2017 VRS at a main dealer and it was £18,500.

Facebook, Birmingham, CAT N... Just no.

As for the bumper looking a different colour, plastic bumpers always look a different colour in certain angles/lights especially in greys and silvers.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Walk away.

Why go through the trouble to find a “perfect” example, considering the cost? You’ll be walking away 99 times out of 100.

The lack of commas in the price of advert alone is a warning flag tbh.

Soldato
I'd be carrying out a vcheck on it to see if it pulls up the damage details. Without seeing some pictures of why it was recorded as a Cat N, and then being able to properly check over the repair I'd steer well clear. And that's before taking into the normal gut feeling about the car regarding the tints and it's location

Literally was about to post this as I scrolled down

Caporegime
The lack of commas in the price of advert alone is a warning flag tbh.

Interesting you should say that as I went to school in Saffrica where we're all taught to use spaces rather than commas then denoting larger numbers.

That said, I wouldn't go near a car from Brum. When @Le Clandestin Brun says something is dodgy, run a mile :D

I was in a facebook group a while ago which showed loads of these dodgy repairs and the ads the cars were listed in, can't remember the name but it was quite scary what was being bodged and sold.

EDIT: Here's one https://www.facebook.com/dodgycarsuk

Soldato
Can already see from the photos the rear bumper isn't the same colour as most of the other car.

I wouldn't spend £16k on any sort of Cat N of this type. Especially not from some guy on Facebook who lives in Birmingham. Don't get me wrong, there are times where a Cat N car make sense - on cherished car that's 15 years old and worth a few grand and someone dents the door and wing on it in a car park and the insurance estimator says that it's going to cost £2000 to fix the £4000 car, when in reality, most people would just get a used door from a spare car, or find another much much more economical way of fixing it.

Apart from the bumper, it looks nice in photos, but you can make any car look nice in photos from 3 metres away. The devil is always in the detail - and normally when you start looking back the shiny out layer. I've seen so many cars that are listed as "CAT C light parking damage" and then someone posts the photo of the cars actual damage that they have found online and it's mad what they will allow to return to the road these days.

Check out dodgy cars on facebook. They find cars that haven't even been categorised & many would clearly be classed as S or even B but they show as HPi clear because they've been sold to salvage, not recorded and fixed and sold to dealers (who I suspect know what they're buying but when called out claim to be innocent). MOST of the cars found come from or are linked to BCA.

Soldato
That is not 6k cheaper, I looked at a 2017 VRS at a main dealer and it was £18,500.

As for the bumper looking a different colour, plastic bumpers always look a different colour in certain angles/lights especially in greys and silvers.

They can do, but from having looked at high res images of other white Octavia VRS - it isn't anywhere near as noticeable as that. And the front bumper isn't either on the same car.

Last edited:
Associate
As someone who once owned a cat C I would give you this information. Unless you know who rebuilt it I would avoid, the only time I would go near one is if I rebuilt it or someone I trust. And for the price, personally I would prefer a higher mileage than crash damage especially unknown crash damage.

Soldato
Just did a search on the approved used site and the cheapest 2017 spec vRS 245 DSG I can see is £21,495. If you found one at £18,500 that's cheap for a straight car in the current market.

Soldato
OP

Where?

Back
Top Bottom