Three mb beeps.. could it be dead ram or..

Associate
Hi.
I built my new pc today (not the first time) and ran into a problem.
I turn on the pc and there is no display and the MB beeps three times. Looking at the manual this means a system memory problem. I have checked to make sure it's in the correct channels. Taken one stick out and swapped it around etc but it still continues to beep no which stick is in.

Does this mean there is an issue with the RAM or something else? Surely both sticks can't be bad? I have double checked and the memory is compatible with the mb.
I sadly do not have any more ddr5 ram to swap out and check if it's that.

Is it possible that two sticks are doa?

Thank you for any help as I'm panicking a bit lol

The mb is an asrock.

Can you list the full specs please?

Normally, one stick of RAM should be in the 2nd slot (from the CPU).

Make sure the stick is fully seated.

2 dead sticks is possible, though not common.

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to mention it

7800x3d
Asrock X670E Pro RS (Socket AM5) DDR5 ATX Motherboard
CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32GB DDR5 6000MHz
1000w Corsair
4070ti super.

I would start by removing the CPU, check the pins in the socket and then if all is ok, remount the cooler.

Are you able to test another CPU in the board ? Getting different beep codes sound more like CPU or board, and you wouldn't be the first person to receive a doa chip.

7800x3d
1000w Corsair
4070ti super.

been looking on asrocks website and because you have a x3d chip you will need to update the bios to at least version 1.21, it has optimisations for ryzen 7000x3d, use onboard video output too, as there are problems with 40 series when doing the update, after updating it will be fine to use the outputs from the gpu.

Last edited:
been looking on asrocks website and because you have a x3d chip you will need to update the bios to at least version 1.21, it has optimisations for ryzen 7000x3d, use onboard video output too, as there are problems with 40 series when doing the update, after updating it will be fine to use the outputs from the gpu.
Thanks for this:).
Sadly I did update the latest bios beforehand and I got the okay light to say it had been updated.
I'm leaning towards a dead CPU but I know how rare they are. In a bit of a bind at mo though as I don't want to return it as DOA and it turn out it's the mobo and face a charge/fee etc.

Thanks for this:).
Sadly I did update the latest bios beforehand and I got the okay light to say it had been updated.
I'm leaning towards a dead CPU but I know how rare they are. In a bit of a bind at mo though as I don't want to return it as DOA and it turn out it's the mobo and face a charge/fee etc.

which bios did you update too 1.21 or higher?

ah right, the latter bios versions wont have the specific code that 1.21 would have, the very latest versions support ryzen 9000 and bring fixes and optimisations to those chips, not familiar with asrock so i'm not sure if there is a roll back option, but if there is i would look to roll back to 1.21 first and see if the issues stop, if they do then update to 3.6 or higher and then you are set for 9000/x3d down the road if you want.

some ryzen 7800x3d's are a really pain in the backside to get working with certain types of ram, i should know, built a pc for a friend and went through 3 chips and 3 kits of ram and no luck, worst 18 months of my life :eek:

Last edited:
Sadly now getting 5 beeps (CPU) and a single beep. I've unmounted the CPU and checked but there doesn't seem to be any damage.
If there are no bent pins on the board then the only thing I'm aware of that can cause CPU detection issues (apart from the BIOS mentioned above) is if the cooler mount is an issue, e.g. too tight, too loose, not even.

You have both of the power plugs (main ATX 20/24 pin) and the EPS 12v 8 pin(s) plugged in, right?

Could be a dodgy mb?
Possible, but I'm assuming you don't have any spare hardware to test with, so that makes it tricky.

Last edited:

7800x3d
1000w Corsair
4070ti super.

I vaguely remember people posting recently of having trouble with Corsair RAM on some of these boards but I can't remember details off the top of my head.

I would start by removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds, ensuring the PSU is disconnected. Then, re-insert the battery and try to see if you can get it to POST.

Back
Top Bottom