Three nights in Bucharest for work, what shall I do in the evenings?

Soldato
Well I’m going on my first business trip abroad to Bucharest for three nights next week, I will properly have at least one of those evenings free, I’m staying a in central hotel near the national museum.

Any suggestion on where to go in the evening? probably won’t be the last time I be over there.

Soldato
Depending on how lenient your expenses are I'd be happy to find a nice restaurant, have a long meal, a few drinks at a bar/hotel afterwards. Assuming you'll be working until 6pm ish I find when travelling for business once you're back at the hotel and ready to go out for dinner it's 7pm. Once you figure out where you're going it's 7.30-8pm and then you can easily have a slow meal until 9.30pm ish (or longer). A digestif or two at the bar and I'm done.

It sounds like you want more than that though, so as above. Hookers and coke. Or just don't clubbing. I dunno :confused:

Are you after tips on how to spend an evening when travelling for business, or tips on what to do in Bucharest specifically?

Soldato
OP
Are you after tips on how to spend an evening when travelling for business, or tips on what to do in Bucharest specifically?

Most of it is being pay for, (flights, taxi, and 5 star hotel) so i'm sure I can expensive food and drink to a resonable level as well
This, I know at least 2 of the three evenings my boss (a mad 49 year old Kewi lady) want to go out for food and on the titles but would be a shame going to a new contry and not seeing a little bit of it.

Then again I'm single, what are the women in Bucharest like :D

I still need to sort my self out with some practical stuff like a good carry on bag and I've not been told if travel insurance is in-place as well, as I said its my first business trip abroad so i'm little nervous as I need it to go well.

Soldato
Well, with regards to a couple of your points I'd expect the whole thing to be paid for (flights, hotel, transport on the ground etc). The only thing that differs from company to company is how strict they are for food/drink -- if there's a limit on anything. Some places I've heard you can only have one alcoholic beverage with dinner, nothing else. Other you get £15 for lunch, £30 for dinner. My place, no limits whatsoever ;) So if I go on a trip I have my business credit card -- everything goes on that. Flights, hotel, food, train to/from the airport, taxis etc. -- even the random coffees, snacks if I'm out and about. Then a few drinks perhaps ;) I wouldn't personally pay a penny on anything and my place is absolutely fine with that. So I'd check with HR/whoever, and maybe check with others that have travelled a lot on the company how stringent they worry about expenses. It's good to know before you go as you don't want to rock up to a posh restaurant and end up getting stung for the £100 bottle of wine because you can't expense it.

It's a bit hard to do sightseeing on an evening if you're going to be solidly in work for the daytime. If you've got two nights out planned then you're halfway there. I wouldn't worry too much. I'd also imagine that your place has business travel insurance in place, but best to check.

EDIT: I had 3/4s of a day free in Paris a couple of weeks ago. I actually did an open-top bus tour for what it's worth. Quite fun actually and if you're short on time you get to tick off the main sights. Maybe there's one in Bucharest?

Soldato
OP
Well, with regards to a couple of your points I'd expect the whole thing to be paid for (flights, hotel, transport on the ground etc). The only thing that differs from company to company is how strict they are for food/drink -- if there's a limit on anything. Some places I've heard you can only have one alcoholic beverage with dinner, nothing else. Other you get £15 for lunch, £30 for dinner. My place, no limits whatsoever ;) So if I go on a trip I have my business credit card -- everything goes on that. Flights, hotel, food, train to/from the airport, taxis etc. -- even the random coffees, snacks if I'm out and about. Then a few drinks perhaps ;) I wouldn't personally pay a penny on anything and my place is absolutely fine with that. So I'd check with HR/whoever, and maybe check with others that have travelled a lot on the company how stringent they worry about expenses. It's good to know before you go as you don't want to rock up to a posh restaurant and end up getting stung for the £100 bottle of wine because you can't expense it.

It's a bit hard to do sightseeing on an evening if you're going to be solidly in work for the daytime. If you've got two nights out planned then you're halfway there. I wouldn't worry too much. I'd also imagine that your place has business travel insurance in place, but best to check.

EDIT: I had 3/4s of a day free in Paris a couple of weeks ago. I actually did an open-top bus tour for what it's worth. Quite fun actually and if you're short on time you get to tick off the main sights. Maybe there's one in Bucharest?

I think ill they be on the lenient side, Ill be with my boss and when I've been invited to to events in the UK Ive had hotel and food paid for. Plus I would think food and drink is much cheaper there ?

I covered on the company travel insurance.

Getting from the airport to my hotel is the next thing I need to sort

Man of Honour
This is my favorite restaurant in the city, very good prices too...

https://goo.gl/maps/PmwF7yPJYPs

The main sight you'll want to visit are to do a tour of the old Palace, one of the largest buildings on earth. Another interesting one is Caecescu's grave which is close to this pin...

https://goo.gl/maps/4bzUGqVpB282

Getting from the airport to my hotel is the next thing I need to sort

You've got two options. There's a receipt machine in the airport that you type your hotel into and it assigns you a taxi at a fixed price.

Secondly, Uber works in the city and is very cheap. Easy to use as well with EU data roaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Most of it is being pay for, (flights, taxi, and 5 star hotel) so i'm sure I can expensive food and drink to a resonable level as well
This, I know at least 2 of the three evenings my boss (a mad 49 year old Kewi lady) want to go out for food and on the titles but would be a shame going to a new contry and not seeing a little bit of it.

Then again I'm single, what are the women in Bucharest like :D

I still need to sort my self out with some practical stuff like a good carry on bag and I've not been told if travel insurance is in-place as well, as I said its my first business trip abroad so i'm little nervous as I need it to go well.

it should all be getting paid for, just keep receipts - better still ask about per diem allowances.

ref women, get a tinder subscription and pay for their premium service, change your location to Bucharest a week before, update your profile to say you're visiting and then get swiping... hopefully you should be able to get a local girl or two to help show you around etc.. :)

Soldato
Bucahrest is so cheap (so cheap I only needed one ATM withdrawal) I went in the dreary cold months though there bars etc in the main centre apart from that I hated the place and cant really recommend anything.

Soldato
OP
ref women, get a tinder subscription and pay for their premium service, change your location to Bucharest a week before, update your profile to say you're visiting and then get swiping... hopefully you should be able to get a local girl or two to help show you around etc.. :)

The cost of that is socking lol, I did have a third party app that sat the location on my iPad I wonder if it works

Man of Honour
When I was trucking around Europe in the mid seventies to early eighties, every three or four months I would get a job to a Petro-Chemical plant in Ploiesti, Romania, about one hour north of Bucharest.
I would occasionally drop the trailer in Ploiesti, and drive the tractor unit to Bucharest, where you could get a 3 * hotel for peanuts.
I would drift from bar to bar, a shot of vodka here, another one there, with the vague dream of pulling a bird who if she couldn’t speak English, could at least speak French, never happened.
Whatever you do, don’t be tempted by the hookers hanging around the Gara de Nord, the main station in Bucharest, they made the crack whores of Whitechapel, look like Miss World contestants.
If any approached me, I’d hold my breath, in case I inhaled syphiitic microbes.

Soldato
OP
When I was trucking around Europe in the mid seventies to early eighties, every three or four months I would get a job to a Petro-Chemical plant in Ploiesti, Romania, about one hour north of Bucharest.
I would occasionally drop the trailer in Ploiesti, and drive the tractor unit to Bucharest, where you could get a 3 * hotel for peanuts.
I would drift from bar to bar, a shot of vodka here, another one there, with the vague dream of pulling a bird who if she couldn’t speak English, could at least speak French, never happened.
Whatever you do, don’t be tempted by the hookers hanging around the Gara de Nord, the main station in Bucharest, they made the crack whores of Whitechapel, look like Miss World contestants.
If any approached me, I’d hold my breath, in case I inhaled syphiitic microbes.

No hookers, I rather not lose what little respect I have for myself lo but I do not criticise other people that use such "services"

Soldato
I'd be supremely jealous of anyone single that is also travelling for work a lot. I went on a work trip to the US with a few guys around my age. Generally we hung out in the evenings but one evening, one of them was like "nah sorry I got a Tinder date". We travel pretty well for work (nice hotels, decent expenses) so if you played your cards right you'd come out of it pretty well.... :o

Soldato
Caru' cu Bere - definitely, I spent 2 days in Bucharest on business 2 years ago - and that's a great restaurant.

Then after that, head to Strada Covaci, but avoid the "night clubs".

Back
Top Bottom