Tier A PSU coil whine after 5 months

Associate
Years ago i had this:

ASUS TUF GAMING X570 PLUS
3800x
GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super White Gaming OC
CORSAIR AX860 PSU (Fully modular)

It was all great till the GPU coil whined but i thought "Time for a partial upgrade".PSU had NO issues...Big mistake

Everything in the list above and more was kept except the 3800x to a 5800X3D, a CORSAIR RM1200x SHIFT and a GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Super among the CPU fan cooler to a bigger one (Noctua NH-D15 CB).

First 5 months all great. No CW on anything

2 weeks ago the PSU decides to "say hello" and cause CW. More noticeable if i put a game like MARVEL's GOTG or DOOM ETERNAL on the main menu or a random level with no enemies around. Even moving the mouse around caused a variation of the noise

So i thought "Maybe i could try a smaller PSU from the same brand n model as many people do!". 850W bought 2 days ago. Popped it in and no CW until 3 hours passes and tadaaaa, another CW in record time!...Returned the PSU immediatly yesterday and refunded (They tested it in my face, all smiling..."Maybe it's something else from your PC that won't turn on!". Had to lie or else CW reason would be DENIED)

I tried an "OCCT" with the POWER option so far and before starting it the CW was there. Started the test and the noise didn't went up but the entire PC became an oven in my Be Quiet! DARK BASE PRO 901,so i turned the fans to the MAX just in case. 1H th test ended and 2 minutes after the noise was gone.. Until this afternoon today it came back here and there

The noise is ear and brain hurting as i am very sensitive. I can't use a headset for reasons. The high pitched noise or whatever it makes is driving me crazy

I want to know what can it be done. I can't return the 1200W unit because "Coil whine is normal, don't worry" MY REAR!...I had to lie with the 850W one above FOR ONCE to prevent the same answer and get the refund

This PSU was suggested to me months ago along a Be Quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 one but then the BQ ones, old and new, are said to either have CW or even worse: Rattling fan.. And nothing has been said if they fixed the issue just yet!

And then the same CORSAIR PSU is in that Tier A list from that PSU tier guide

Below you can see vids of both game and IDLE (Yes, IDLE is the worst thing here) causing the noise. Forgive my awful voice:

Game:

IDLE:

Man of Honour
Coil whine is a nightmare topic, tbh, there are a lot of things that might help, but it depends on the individual config of each person.

E.g. sometimes with the exact same PSU, or motherboard, or GPU, with a different PSU, motherboard, or GPU combination it does NOT whine.

Outside of getting a glue gun, you can try:
- Disabling/Enabling the CPU power saving states in the motherboard and/or Windows.
- Using/Not using V-Sync and frame caps.
- Disabling/Enabling hardware acceleration in your browsers and all other software (except games obviously).
- Change the PCI-E version in the BIOS.

And then the same CORSAIR PSU is in that Tier A list from that PSU tier guide
Unfortunately the pedigree of the PSU has little to do with coil whine, it is the same with graphics, since higher-end models often have more coil whine than the cheap ones :o

Associate
OP
Thought of putting some recent proof. The PSU has been quiet for 5h until now...Most of the time on Idle

All cables (minus energy socket one) removed. The noise is still there. Tried different wall sockets. Everything the same

I did some video encoding but while it was being done , and after returning home, there was no CW at all ...

Back
Top Bottom