Tiling kitchen advice - best tile trim and way to edge /trim external 3 sided corners for tiles?

Soldato
OP
Once I get the tiles in is plan to cut this box in section to sit over the upstand and flush with tiles - agree?

6s2ZS4Q.jpeg

Soldato
OP
Urgh I realise a couple issues. Plan to do straight bond tiles (not brick bond each row) and couple issues

1: most my sockets are a couple mm off the bottom of the faceplates. I presume still best to have a wole row at the bottom as once new faceplates are on very little will be visible? (ill cut a slither of tile into the socket if I can)

2. One of my sockets on the side nearest fridge is maybe 10 to 15mm higher than rest on the tiled side, is it worth fixing it lower /will it be noticeable when tiled? I didn't notice before so possibly not

Image for 1.
9FtDnSG.jpeg

Image for 2
Jx1oP9v.jpeg

Soldato
OP
Well the trim looks good but removing the level master knocked off a few tiles...

I guess not enough adhesive.... This is the 2nd time this has happened to me..

Im going to just put a thicker bed of adhesive onto the tile itself rather than wall (cant fit trowel in) then push it on and use spacers

EvAidHS.jpeg

ZTdY0J1.jpeg

Edit:

Now fixed...

Xzkt3q3.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Anyone got any tips for cleaning black grout off tiles? (porcelain)

Some marks have been left and they're a textured effect tile. Mrs has let me know elbow grease alone isn't sorting it..

g5tML2A.jpeg

Soldato
Anyone got any tips for cleaning black grout off tiles? (porcelain)

Some marks have been left and they're a textured effect tile. Mrs has let me know elbow grease alone isn't sorting it..

g5tML2A.jpeg

It's normal to use acid but you need to make sure that it doesn't damage the tiles before you let rip on the kitchen.

Associate
Lovely kitchen. This is unrelated to the tiles, but I am having my kitchen done shortly. Would you mind letting me know what floor that is? Was it laid on top of the existing tiles?

Soldato
OP
Lovely kitchen. This is unrelated to the tiles, but I am having my kitchen done shortly. Would you mind letting me know what floor that is? Was it laid on top of the existing tiles?

Its alder oak herringbone, linked below. . Dependant on fitter, levels around your floor and how well bonded your tiles are you could screed on top of existing tiles.

Key thing for this is well screeded/flat floor. Unfortunately can't see it on the photos but mine was finished very poorly!

Soldato
OP
More tiles.... Let's pray they hold

Ow47fjM.jpeg

SlaGsRY.jpeg

I had to use a 5mm spacer here rather than 3mm as I realised in situ that one (or multiple) tiles were out of size around the corner to get grout lines matching...
cS7Jvsy.jpeg

This section under the boiler is normally covered with a removable box section anyways - I think a boiler change will happen within 5 years so didn't want to box it all in
LTgDAiH.jpeg

I spent all morning trying to get these 3 sockets on/aligned but there's not enough room... Now bought a "grout remover" carbide multi tool bit to nibble out a small amount of porcelain tile to "push" the right hand socket to the right very slightly so it doesn't overlap. The grout cleaned up OK at least!
6zcWK9X.jpeg

Soldato
OP
Now finished, overall pretty pleased, external corners angles etc could have been better but hey 2nd time tiling

Getting 3 switch faceplates in a row to stay on was a total pig!
4VDDyIn.jpeg

Pre grouting
ieinNNR.jpeg

Grouting went a lot better 2nd time round
rZiRded.jpeg

ieinNNR.jpeg

Tile cut on this socket isn't 100% but I cut beforehand to try get angles of trim right.... Very Minor overcut on left hand side.

All the right hand tiles are cut with a 4"grinded and after polishing very little/no marks/scratches etc.
Z3lqUhz.jpeg

s16zSbo.jpeg

Finished kitchen
Jq8dtL9.jpeg

ZVkQZwa.jpeg

kai

kai

Soldato
Lovely parquet flooring and love the little window opposite the fridge.

Did you think about extended cuboards up to the bulkhead or ceiling - to the same height as the boxed in corner?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice job on the tiling. I know what a pain this job can be having just done the same job for our new kitchen :p

Great looking kitchen you have there. Worktops and floor look particularly good.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased for a "cheap" kitchen renovation and keeping all the existing units. First time I've had stone worktops and don't think I'd go back to laminate.

Lovely parquet flooring and love the little window opposite the fridge.
The worktop Quartz or Granite?
It is quartz, fugen "avalanche"

Flooring is just LVT but easier to clean/maintain than the "proper" wood parquet in other rooms.

kai

kai

Soldato
Thanks, I'm quite pleased for a "cheap" kitchen renovation and keeping all the existing units. First time I've had stone worktops and don't think I'd go back to laminate.

Flooring is just LVT but easier to clean/maintain than the "proper" wood parquet in other rooms.

Sorry, i needed edited my post when i read the posts on page 1 again. I asked a different question then :)
Huge fan of LVT - what flooring is it - Karndean?

Soldato
OP
Sorry, i needed edited my post when i read the posts on page 1 again. I asked a different question then :)
Huge fan of LVT - what flooring is it - Karndean?
Its a competitor to karndean, its alder oak from here. They claim its got a tougher wear layer but to be honest it does show up some scratches. I'm not sure if it was just a bit more for amtico or karndean (the brand leaders) I'd be tempted to go for them.

Certainly for your new house /floor I'd say go for glue down flooring like this so you can replace individual "tiles" if need be and get the floor screeded /latexed well, they did a right **** job of mine :D

Last edited:
Soldato

We considered quartz worktops, but the total cost of our kitchen was spiralling, so we went for Minerva solid surface. Seems fairly similar to quartz although not as shiny.

New flooring will be next to do I think. Will probably also go with luxury vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom