Time Capsule

Associate
Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to know if this is possible (I imagine so) and secondly how to do it. ;)

I'd like to use time capsule as my wireless network including the internet, but connect the internet to the TC wirelessly (for both visual and performance reasons).

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Soldato
Yep you can do it, but performance wise, if your router's not N spec, it'll slow down the network. A time capsule can do two networks though so one for all your N kit, and another for the slower stuff. Here, all my macs use a 5ghz N network, and my phone, 360, DS, iPod Touch and so on all connect to a 2.4ghz network so they don't slow up my Macs. I'm not huge on networking so can't really tell you anything further than that, other than mine works just lovely wired to my BT Home Hub for actually connecting to the net. (Well it's an Extreme, but they're the same aside from the hard drive)

If you can do it, wire your router to the TC for speedz.

Commissario
Also, don't expect the Time Machine backup to be fast. I've just replaced my Airport Extreme with a Time Capsule and my initial backup of around 800Gb took nearly 24 hours and that's with a gigabit wired connection.

Back
Top Bottom