Time for a change?

Soldato
Ok, this is mainly random thinking out loud stuff...

Right,

I've been running some thoughts through my head:

I purchased my R1 in December 2008, I took it out on a 36 month 0% APR deal with Yamaha, the payments are about £180 per month, and I believe that kicked in, in January 2009, so I owe somewhere between £3600 and £4000 (a deposit was also paid).

The cost side of it is fine, I budget everything outgoing and although I'm not earning mega bucks, I'm comfortable enough, so paying for the bike for the rest of the term won’t be an issue.

Now, I keep thinking and looking at other bikes, nothing brand new (as my Yammy was), but second hand bikes - namely GSXRs (baaa baaaa follow the flock ;)), and I keep coming back to the same bike I had planned on getting before deciding on the R1 - going as far as putting a deposit on one - the 750...

I have no real issues with the Yammy, but I'm simply not using its full ability, which frankly I would only do on a track, or very empty private roads! And a recent article in Superbike magazine, about downgrading, got me thinking more and more.

My perceived benefits of going for the 750:

1. A lighter bike (my wrist is still an issue when moving the R1 – a future operation may help!)
2. Better fuel economy? I get between 112 to 120 miles before I hit reserve on the R1, and that's distance 'spirited' riding, on a composed run, I may see an extra 10-20 miles before reserve. I had assumed that the 750 would be better on fuel – although I am basing that on figures I read on MCN when researching my next bike back in ‘08.
3. Better riding position – I probably need to get a test ride booked to confirm this, as I’ve only sat on them in the showrooms, but the Gixxers have always struck me as being the most comfortable bikes, and although I can place both my feet flat on the R1, I’m on tiptoes when peddling it about and it never feels too stable; so maybe this will be better on the 750.
4. Lower costs? I would imagine that insurance and running costs will be lower, mainly tyres as I think the 750 has a 180 rather than the R1’s 190, but services may also be cheaper...
5. Not as naughty! The R1 is stupidly fast, as my recent stint on a private road proved – an indicated 185 and still a couple of thousand revs to go – the 750 will still be quick but a lower top end may help me to keep my license and freedom :D

Not sure what I’m looking for from this thread, I may go off the idea between now and home time, but I’d be interested to see if anyone has ‘downgraded’ from a litre bike to something with a lower cc, and how they got on?

In the meantime, I'm off to Bike Trader again :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't do it :)

I don't think there are any benefits...

1. not much lighter, maybe 5kg ?

2. not much different fuel wise and you'll be using more revs to make progress

3. riding position prolly no different

4. lower costs... maybe a little less tyre wear but thats it. remember a gixxer 750 has the same bhp as a R1 from 2002

5. just as naughty, the 750 is what 10mph off on the top end tops, and goes like a rocket still, with maybe even better handling to egg you on

I think as nice as the 750 handles you'll open it up and think... hum is that it ?, I get the same when riding most sub litre bikes these days.

I know power isn't everything, but stepping down is only likely to work if you have fallen out of love with sports bikes

Soldato
OP
Not my cup of tea those bikes, but a Ducati....... no, no, I mustn't :D

Edit: Just going back to the 750.. the handling is a good thing, I get the most fun from twisties now, so if it's better than the R1 in that respect, it's a step i nthe right direction...

Man of Honour
go take a 08 busa for a test ride and pin the throttle, you might decide you like that tea ;)

Seriously though I've been toying with idea of getting DRZ400 or something to play with instead of sports bikes.. I'm kinda 50/50 on the idea though. Lots of green lanes round here to play on.

Soldato
OP
I still love sports bikes, it's just I'd rather have something more suited for the road and my mind at the moment says that's not a litre bike - damn you mind!!!!!

Probably just work-related boredom bringing these thoughts on, but I love the look of Gixxers and I have a bad habit (with cars) of getting bored of them :(

Soldato
I'd say do it - or at least take one for a test ride.

The GSXR750 K5 was the best bike I've ever owned. I only got rid of it for comfort issues on very long rides. Wish I'd just tried some helibars for it instead.

Soldato
Don't try to rationalise the decision, you'll be kidding yourself. There are no concrete benefits to doing it other than making yourself happy. If that's enough then go for it!

Associate
On my old k4 GSXR 750 I would have averaged 145 miles to a tank (17 litres). One time I really pushed the empty light to 160 miles, probably was very close to being empty....

Soldato
Do it ;)

For fuel wise depending on which one you get its really worth getting a PC3 and Custom map, I was going from getting 90-100 after a hoon to the light coming on to getting seriously about 130-140m before the light, I had over 170m quite a few times out of a single tank.

Handling yes, they are better than the thou's, the thou's just need muscling about abit more whereas my 750 was just effortless once I had the suspension done.

The 750 yes is a 180 rear but tbh I never saw any price difference between 180 and 190, the real saving comes from how bad your right hand was with the throttle :p if you nailed the thou's a lot you obviously go through rear tyres a lot quicker.

No its not as naughty as the R1 but it will still get you banned as quick ;) the 750 will be be latched onto the arse of a thou until about a hundred then starts to tail off quick over 140 but obv we would never do those sorts of speeds on the road...
I found the 750 a proper riders bike, you dont have to rag the arse of it like a 600 and to me that gets boring, I found the 600's cornered no better than my 750 so wringing the throttle to the lock each gear just to keep up got tiring.
One think you may miss will be the torque of the R1, ive not ridden the thousands that much but it was already addictive, the 750 does have lovely torque in most of the gears but its nothing on the kick the thousand gives you.

Soldato
OP
We'll see I guess lol - me and my mad ideas :p

I was actualyl thinking of the K7 on wards model personally, but your model Fireskull is lovely, saw one in white on the way in this morning (driving the dull company car at the time though :() - maybe that's what brought this on lol.

:D

Soldato
I would love a K7 with the back end of the K9 :p

Im really tempted to get another 750 k4/5 but I get the feeling it just wont be the same, I modifed my bike so much that is was every part me lol, and maybe getting another will be the same feeling when you buy another pet after one has died, not the same, or am I being female lol?

Soldato
Female :p.

I can't comment on Litre bikes yet, nor younger 750's, but I do love my K1, handles much better than anything I can throw at it, has all the usable power for our roads.
But as emailiscrap said, some of these feelings you just can't rationalise, especially as you seem to want something other than your R1, if you've got that playing on your mind, you'll never be happy.

Associate
Female :p.

I can't comment on Litre bikes yet, nor younger 750's, but I do love my K1, handles much better than anything I can throw at it, has all the usable power for our roads.
But as emailiscrap said, some of these feelings you just can't rationalise, especially as you seem to want something other than your R1, if you've got that playing on your mind, you'll never be happy.

How about something with a V?

I agree re feelings, there was a matte black brand new 848 at work today, who needs a sports tourer?!

Soldato
OP
Bumping an old thread here!

After I thought I’d convinced myself to keep the R1, I still kept looking at other bikes, but every time I jump back on I get huge smile on my face and I decide that it’s still the bike for me, that was until the weekend...

I went for a long ride at the weekend with a couple of mates, about 9 hours in the saddle but only 300 or so miles, everything was fine until the return trip home, about 30 miles from Swindon my knackered wrist started to ache, and that pain has carried through to today :(

So I’ve now got another consideration to factor into whether I keep the R1 or not, and sadly this is something that will continue to be an issue up to, and probably after my operation (currently no date set for that!).

I do love the R1 to bits, but the weight is now starting to cause my wrist grief – it wasn’t body weight either, as I’ve got into the habit of getting my elbows almost level with the bars, so my weight goes through my arse and legs. I’m also toying with the idea of consolidating a few debts when clearing off the finance on the R1 – so per month I’ll be better off, but I will be committing to a couple more years of debt; but that’ll be cleared once I get my injury claim payout so it’s not long term imo.

So, rather than just swoon over pictures and write-ups, I’ve decided to now start trying the bikes I’m considering as alternatives, and this weekend I shall be taking out the new Triumph Daytona 675 :D I’ve heard great things about it being ideal for the road etc and a couple of mates who have tested them/own one, have said how much better it is over some of the Jap i4s.

An update to follow (if my goldfish memory remembers to post here :D)

Back
Top Bottom