Time for a new battery?

Associate
So, my poor bike has been sat unused since winter and has spent the best part of 6 months outside.
I've removed the battery today to get it ready for an MOT and the voltage was at a staggeringly low 4.4V (unloaded). I've put it onto an Oximiser to see if it can resurrect it but I've not much hope... Is 4.4V well and truly into 'deep discharge'? If so, new battery time?

Soldato
You may as well Let it charge overnight and see if it holds the charge, once it's plugged back into the bike and you ride it regularly it should be fine.

Only cheap anyway to replace.

Man of Honour
If it does come back to life I wouldn't expect to last many more starts. Unless you literally just want it to pass it's mot and then tuck it away again I'd consider that battery binned.

Associate
OP
I was thinking of going for a Lithium battery but I'd need to keep better care of it!
I'll start looking for a replacement now so I can get the MOT sorted ASAP.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
What were those lightweight batteries that come precharged and are much better than the standard acid ones? I think, I bought one for my KTM at some point. Not sure if that was it... can't remember and on my phone at the mo.

Associate
OP
You mean the racing batteries? They're the most sensitive of the lot and super pricey. Looking around at my options I reckon I'll be going for a MotoBatt as I've heard good things about them.

EDIT: Too slow and yes, I'm not really fussed about weight either.

Soldato
I just got a new battery as my original one wouldn't start it again even though it showed 12.2v. Got a new Lithium one and it has never started the bike so quick, plus it should last a considerable time to lose charge. They don't like cold though, warmer they are the better they work.

Soldato
12.2 volts will mean you battery is about 60-70% charged and may not be enough to start your bike (depending on the year). Some bikes won't even turn over at that voltage, they'll either click or do nothing. About 12.6 is fully charged and when the bike runs it goes up to about 14.

Associate
OP
From fully charged on the Oximiser I left mine for a couple of days and it then read 12.7. New Motobatt arriving today, as above not worth taking the risk when abroad, especially given I have sat nav, tracker and heated grips hooked up.

Back
Top Bottom