Time for an upgrade ~£2000

Associate
Hey Folks,

time to upgrade! It's been quite a while. I bought my TITAN X then two weeks later they released the 980Ti! :( so hoping to do better research this time.

I have currently;

• i7-5820K 3.3GHZ
  • GTX TITAN X
  • 16GB Corsair 2800mhz
  • ASUS X99-S
  • Samsung SSD 850EVO

I have Two Monitors, a ROG PG2780 27"@2560 as primary and a BenQ GL2450H @1980. Mostly do a wide variety of gaming so would like to be jack of all trades. I have a 1000w G2 PSU in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro White Full Tower PC Case.

I'm looking at the below which takes me slightly over budget, this includes the system being overclocked for me.

• Intel Core i9 9900K, Coffee Lake, @ 4.9GHZ
  • Corsair Hydro H100i PRO RGB - 240mm Liquid Cooler
  • ASUS STRIX Z390-E GAMING
  • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
  • Intel 660p 1TB M.2 PCIe QLC 3D Performance NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive
  • Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUAL 11GB GDDR6 Ray-Tracing Graphics Card, 4352 Core, 1350MHz GPU, 1545MHz Boost

Thoughts and suggestions? anything I'm missing out on here?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
@Davemek32

Better board with WiFi, better card with 4 year warranty .

Standard data 3 1TB drive as you'll notice no difference with gaming using nvme .

360 AIO to keep chip cool !

Reuse current ddr4 ram

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,010.97 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Could wait till Zen 2 in July and grab yourself SSD and rtx 2080ti

Associate
OP
Thanks for replying mate

Evey review I've read seems to gush about the M2 SSD.. and there ain't much in the price!

You say reuse current ram.. why is that? My ram is years old now and seems slow(bad timings??)

Good shout on the gfx card, I do love a good warranty

Soldato
I'm really not sure you need do anything other than upgrade the GPU. Your current CPU has 6 cores and 12 threads and is still perfectly decent. I went from a Maxwell Titan X (like yours) to a 2080 Ti and it made a huge difference.

Soldato
Thanks for replying mate

Evey review I've read seems to gush about the M2 SSD.. and there ain't much in the price!

You say reuse current ram.. why is that? My ram is years old now and seems slow(bad timings??)

Good shout on the gfx card, I do love a good warranty

If your happy to spend the extra then go for it, tend to save cash were it's possible for roughly same outcome .

Safe advice mate but totally gotten the upgrade bug now, hard to see sense haha!

Haha, slippery slope !

I'm really not sure you need do anything other than upgrade the GPU. Your current CPU has 6 cores and 12 threads and is still perfectly decent. I went from a Maxwell Titan X (like yours) to a 2080 Ti and it made a huge difference.

Nice to have someone with real world experience !

Soldato
How future proofed are these 2080Ti?

is now a good time to upgrade or is something coming around the hill?

IMO the next wave of cards will likely provide much bigger performance gains than this generation so a 2080ti unless you're dead-set on 4k/60fps on 99% of games at ultra settings becomes a hard purchase to justify IMO.

I'd definitely stick with your current processor. As good as the 9900k is, I don't feel its going to improve your gaming performance all that much. Also it'll be very interesting to see in the next 6 months what AMD offers and the next 12 months how intel respond. We seem to be on the cusp of a giant leap forwards in regards to processor value, core count and possibly performance.

If I were you, I'd grab a 2080 and call it a day. This generation of cards is just really difficult to buy into and think we're getting good value, especially at the high end and especially given the high end is still on the cusp of 4k/60 on some more challenging titles. Even the 2080 is a rip off but at least its a good deal less price-wise.

Soldato
How future proofed are these 2080Ti?

is now a good time to upgrade or is something coming around the hill?

It's an animal and should last a long time ! Depends on your games and your settings and expected FPS target .

Great that CPUs are adding more cores .. but games still rely on speed... All this die shrinking I want speed personally. should have been on 6Ghz by now :/

Back
Top Bottom