Time for fuel cell / hydrogen car?

Associate
Next car in 2 years' time will not be a diesel for sure.
Don't believe battery powered cars is the future unless there is a breakthrough in battery technology (I am sure there will be ways to charge them quicker but not sure if it will be possible to manufacture them in scale using abundant materials).

Is hydrogen the future then?

Associate
OP
Hydrogen needs to face up to same sort of nonsense arguments that electric does, with little basis in reality, so on that front i'll offer up - what happens when my car explodes like the Hindenburg?

I am sure storing hydrogen has come a long way since then.

Associate
OP
Only thing i can see there is a static warehoouse size of capacitors to manage national grid inrush loads for fast charging a car - it then recharges from the grid between sessions to refill. 180Wh/Kg is about 5 years ago.

So enough energy or not?

More reading
https://interestingengineering.com/...replace-batteries-in-future-electric-vehicles

Ultracapacitors have a much higher power density than batteries. This makes them ideal for high-drain applications like powering an electric vehicle.

Associate
OP
I've seen it before but ultimately, going back to your OP on an actual serious note, hydrogen fuel cells are not in a position to be the better alternative to electric when you buy a car in 2 years time - FCEVs still need some big breakthroughs to catch up to BEVs and even if they happen in the next 2 years, they won't hit the mainstream in that time frame.

Then ultimately once you reach that point, you'll be dealing with similar FUD to BEVs now, as my posts above allude to.[/MEDIA]
[/QUOTE]

What breakthroughs are you referring to? There is a refuelling station near my work place, I can refuel in 5 min and range is more than enough.

Associate
OP
I am not buying now and in two years many of the issues we are discussing here may be irrelevant.
Cost is not a prohibiting factor now so don't expect it to be in two years. As long as the hydrogen is produced from renewable energy sources only, a FCEV will be my preferred option.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What? The video has factual information surrounding how fuel cells are made, how they can be made and used in industries other than cars, and how they are not yet efficient enough.

Also, let me guess though, you dislike Tesla "because" :rolleyes:

How is efficiency relevant when you have an energy source that is so abundant?

Back
Top Bottom