Time lapse camera for 6 months recording...

Caporegime
You will need to provide more details of budget and use case., ut as above a good Nikon DSLR can do this just fine.

Soldato
I want to take a time lapse of my pond...
Is camera going to be somehow protected or exposed to outside air?
Better have proper weather sealing in later case.

Also time lapse features of cameras usually have max frame number limit so likely going to need some restarting of time lapse program.
(there are remotes which can do interval)

Also depending on interval time there's going to be really lot or insanely lots of shots so electronic shutter would avoid wear risk of mechanical shutter.

Here in Finland one group of amateur astronomers used to do lots of interval/time lapse shooting.
They did it with Olympus compact cameras controlled by PC software.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6Azxt6v0l37IzI7iZqy6Q

Caporegime
OP
Is camera going to be somehow protected or exposed to outside air?
Better have proper weather sealing in later case.

Also time lapse features of cameras usually have max frame number limit so likely going to need some restarting of time lapse program.
(there are remotes which can do interval)

Also depending on interval time there's going to be really lot or insanely lots of shots so electronic shutter would avoid wear risk of mechanical shutter.

Here in Finland one group of amateur astronomers used to do lots of interval/time lapse shooting.
They did it with Olympus compact cameras controlled by PC software.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6Azxt6v0l37IzI7iZqy6Q

It's going to be in open air under the summerhouse roof so will not get wet from rain,

I'm thinking a go pro of some sort...I'll take a look at the Olympus compacts cheers

I thinking an interval time of one shot every hour...

Soldato
It's going to be in open air under the summerhouse roof so will not get wet from rain
While protected from normal rain it would be still exposed to all temperature changes along with humidity.
Also rain doesn't always come vertically...
(sometimes it's more like horizontally)
So weather sealing would definitely be in good to have list.

Olympus doesn't have much compacts anymore, though not that any maker has much of them.
And not sure how good time lapse function compacts they have.
Though Olympus seems to be one of those who include most of software based features throughout line up.
I just checked and in E-M1 MkII highest number of taken shots for one run is 999.
Both waiting time from shutter press to first frame and interval between frames can be set up to 24h

Also AC adapter would be pretty much needed to avoid frequent battery swaps.
While cameras are able to go to sleep mode between shots it would be simply better to have AC power for minimizing amount of manual work.
Actually not that many cameras might have AC adapter as accessory.

Some makers seems to be really liberal about use of term "weather resistant" when there's clear holes in sealing...
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...ur-camera-wet-teardown-of-a-salty-sony-a7sii/

Caporegime
OP
While protected from normal rain it would be still exposed to all temperature changes along with humidity.
Also rain doesn't always come vertically...
(sometimes it's more like horizontally)
So weather sealing would definitely be in good to have list.

Olympus doesn't have much compacts anymore, though not that any maker has much of them.
And not sure how good time lapse function compacts they have.
Though Olympus seems to be one of those who include most of software based features throughout line up.
I just checked and in E-M1 MkII highest number of taken shots for one run is 999.
Both waiting time from shutter press to first frame and interval between frames can be set up to 24h

Also AC adapter would be pretty much needed to avoid frequent battery swaps.
While cameras are able to go to sleep mode between shots it would be simply better to have AC power for minimizing amount of manual work.
Actually not that many cameras might have AC adapter as accessory.

Some makers seems to be really liberal about use of term "weather resistant" when there's clear holes in sealing...
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...ur-camera-wet-teardown-of-a-salty-sony-a7sii/

I have power so I will run it from mains...

Soldato
I have power so I will run it from mains...
Question is really about finding out which cameras have DC input...
That's something usually not covered in reviews or even that clearly in any product pages.
Also even full manual doesn't necessarily go to all details of features and settings, like interval/time lapse settings of E-M1.

For example Tough TG5 compact has AC dapter, but apparently that might work only for charging battery in camera.
As for Olympus looks like E-M1 and E-M5 battery grips have DC input.

Soldato
If you were looking at using a go pro, you can get kits that include a solar panel for charging (if power was an issue).

Actually that may be worth looking at anyway.

Caporegime
Assuming you want to make a movie then the resolution is not that important, I've seen several projects use Nikon D200s for example.

Caporegime
OP
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom