Time shares - are they still considered a rip off or is there some value in them?

Caporegime
Obligatory; in b4 leather corner sofa, barratt home, rented BMW, live laugh love sign etc. As no doubt timeshares have typically been associated with "Deano" type for a few decades now.

Context:
Anyway I went down a YouTube rabbit hole yesterday and watched a thing about "Goldfinger" or John Palmer a wealthy British criminal who helped fence some of the gold from the famous Brink's-Mat robbery, he later ended up setting up a massive timeshare operation in the Canary islands that was running into the 00s. (This guy ended up with a super yacht, a Learjet, a couple of helicopters, supercars etc.. and then was eventually shot dead in his garden when it became apparent he was about to become an informant to reduce a likely lengthy Spanish prison sentence.) This was quite interesting as I remember seeing this scam in person on some of the first lads holidays I went on to the Canary Isles - it was kind of the notorious thing you'd get warned about, tales about unsuspecting tourists being taken up to a resort in the mountains and being left there if they didn't buy one. Sales presentations with cheap bubbly, high-pressure pitches from staff and "gifts" of fake Rolexes etc.. when deals were closed.

Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look online at some timeshares, in particular, I figured perhaps there are a few timeshare re-sales that offer a bit of value and it looks quite interesting. the idea of a timeshare in itself isn't inherently a scam but it's the industry itself that has been vulnerable to scammers, in part because of scumbags like John Palmer. For example, I found one resort where there were a few weeks up for sale for between £2000 - £3000 (studio vs 1 bedroom) with just under a decade left on the "lease"(?) and as it was also a hotel I checked how much it would cost to just book the equivalent room - it was more like £1500 or £2000 for a single week. So the timeshare seems like it could be pretty good value - for say a maintenance fee of £400 or so you'd save thousands over the course of just under a decade vs booking as a hotel room.

Obviously, there is a bit of a catch there - that's all assuming you wanted to go back to that same exact hotel, for the same week, every year for the next 8 years... you'd be paying just under 6k or so vs 12k+ (or more with inflation as you're only exposed to inflation with the maintenance fee)... and that's obviously a big catch/assumption as unless you're perhaps some retired boomer who really, really likes that one hotel/locaiton then that could get a bit boring and isn't flexible...

... but there is an exchange scene where you can swap your week for others around the world and if you're otherwise able to save £6k+ vs the equivalent holiday over say 8 years then it seems that even with some additional fees to swap the timeshare for a week at another location there's still scope for it to offer some value? But that's where there is some uncertainty as that part isn't so transparent... thus the reason for me posting the thread.

I'd be interested to hear from current timeshare owners re: both general things re: if you're happy with your timeshare (did you buy it new or buy a re-sale) and the subject of swapping them - what are the fees like there and did you typically have a good alternate property when you swapped?

(I did once go on holiday with a friend whose parents had a timeshare and it was a pretty nice resort but am not in contact much anymore + no idea what they had to pay for it in order to ascertain whether it was good value.. for us it was a nice cheap holiday as we just paid for the flights + contribution to the cleaning/service fee. (I guess that's the other nice thing, you can just gift the week to friends & family if not using or swapping it one year).)

Last edited:
Soldato
My neighbors had one for decades in Barbados and loved it. I think the main issue at the time(?) was once you were done with them, they were incredibly hard to shift.

I have been exploring a timeshare of a yacht as an alternative. There are a couple that bounce between South of France and Spain.

Soldato
There was someone on another forum recently trying to give away their timeshare to some suckers, and didn't succeed. I think they were locked into it for 20 years or something daft and were contractually obliged to spend over a grand every year using it.

The whole concept is completely mental frankly. Just book a holiday if you want one.

Soldato
I do remember on my family holiday to Florida, we were totally broke and just scraped together air fare. It was an amazing trip. Coin operated TV and sharing a bed with my brother lol. Anyways we learnt we could get free tickets to Universal by going to a time share show. It was RAMMED with Granty Cordone types (their tucked in polos and cologne stick with me to this day). My mum was in tears by the end of it; worn dry, desperate to leave. We managed to get the tickets which my dad then sold to some bloke at the Harry Ramsden so we could eat for a few more days. Best trip ever.

Caporegime
OP
My neighbors had one for decades in Barbados and loved it. I think the main issue at the time(?) was once you were done with them, they were incredibly hard to shift.

100% - that's party why I figured there might be value in the re-sales. Like the typical timeshare seems to be for a duration of at least 20 years or so, but those things can cost low 5 figures when "new". But the secondary market, with say a few years left and someone trying to shift on - maybe that's where there is some extra value... and it's less of a commitment.

I have been exploring a timeshare of a yacht as an alternative. There are a couple that bounce between South of France and Spain.

A guy at my old company did that but with a plane - it's quite common for light aircraft too and makes sense as you're not going to use it all the time. That's often proper fractional ownership too rather than just time share, sometimes there isn't even a management company involved but the co-owners sort if out between themselves + you can collectively re-sell the thing and recoup some of what you put in (albeit obvious depreciation with this stuff).

Soldato
My parents had 2. One week at the end of Feb in the Lake District and 2 weeks at the end of August in the Algarve.

They managed to get out of them recently as the maintenance fees were getting insane. They offered the Lakes one to me but it was something like £600/year.

Had great holidays as a kid and they regularly swapped for alternatives. Worked great when my dad worked abroad as we’d go visit wherever he was and then book a timeshare swap nearby for a holiday. Unsure how cost compared though vs booking direct and having open choice.

Last edited:
Associate
Marriott do this points club now which is kind of like a timeshare but the idea is you get points each year to pay for a holiday. I remember staying at one of their places a few years ago and some sales rep trying to sign me up for a pitch

I think if you book in advance take advantage of loyalty schemes, special offers, credit card points etc you will always end up with cheaper holidays than a timeshare

Soldato
There was someone on another forum recently trying to give away their timeshare to some suckers, and didn't succeed. I think they were locked into it for 20 years or something daft and were contractually obliged to spend over a grand every year using it.

The whole concept is completely mental frankly. Just book a holiday if you want one.
They do seem mad but if you actually go to one of the presentations / hard sells they are very compelling. I went to one in the late 90's. Seemed too good to be true, I was absolutely sold on it. Only reason I didn't pull the trigger was because the last holiday I went on with the then Mrs I couldn't wait to be over.
Barely given her or the timeshare a second thought in the last 25 years :D

Caporegime
OP
They do seem mad but if you actually go to one of the presentations / hard sells they are very compelling. I went to one in the late 90's. Seemed too good to be true

To be clear, these are exactly the sort I'm not asking about! There were definitely scams in the 90s and 00s as mentioned in the OP ditto to the Florida stuff with "free tickets to Disney Land if you come to our presentation".

Soldato
To be clear, these are exactly the sort I'm not asking about! There were definitely scams in the 90s and 00s as mentioned in the OP ditto to the Florida stuff with "free tickets to Disney Land if you come to our presentation".

Outside of the "dodgy" timeshares the issues are generally -
  • Long "contracts" - can be tied in for 10/15 years sometimes
  • It the same place every year - which can be a good thing, but also can get boring quickly. I know someone who had a timeshare in Lanzarote - nice for 3 or 4 years, but then as the kids got older, they didn't want to keep going back to the same place every year, doing the same things, same resort etc
  • Maintenence fees/upgrade costs etc - you can be on the hook for a few £1000 a year if the place decides to upgrade the pool/lift/gardens etc assuming your timeshare is in a complex which most tend to be.
  • Flights - again - can be cheap flights to local airport but then if your local airport changes/does away with the flights - your stuck going further away to get there. (Our local airport did just this with Ryanair - they just decided to stop the Tenerife route and suddenly people had to find flights from much further away to get there and the costs was more)
  • Selling it on - Again can be difficult to get it sold, move it on to get back some of the original costs etc.
Much cheaper these days to just use Airbnb/Vrbo etc and just get a place that suits you. Locking into the same weeks, same place for year after year doesn't float my boat.....

Caporegime

This makes sense.
A yacht

But to give share in a fixed location?
Just same as amazon prime.. Once you "subscribe" you'd feel obligated to using it.
But with this time share you'd be going to the same place.. Every year.

Everyone is different. But to me this seems mad when there's so much world to see.

Last edited:
Associate
I think anything that mostly gets purchased via hard sell tactics tells you it isn't a great purchase. Given the amount that is likely spend on marketing, promotions, "we'll give you a 4 day holiday if you just listen to our presentation", would suggest that a good proportion of the overall budget goes into the selling and not into the building.

The number of people who go for a time-share, having just read about one and thought "yeap that's exactly what I want/need" must be reasonably low.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom