Time to kiss the 16v goodbye...

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
2002 cars are not what I'd call old. You might disagree, how old is your car?

My current car isnt that old and its still production, but thats not the point. A 1990 golf gti is not an old golf.

The (non m5) e39 is not the current model and has none of the retro cool of an e30 m3 and none of the kudos of an e36 m3 or e34/39 m5. It is just an old bimmer.

Man of Honour
Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I must admit I find it bizarre how you can say a 1990 Golf is not an 'old Golf' yet a 2002 5 Series is an 'old 5 Series'.

One of the cars is 12 years newer, yet this newer car is 'old' and the older one is not? How very curious.

Associate
I did say that its weird how people think differantly about cars! :D

the gti is a great drivers car, something special, something that will not be made again, something that was replaced by a sucsession of inferior models...its so much more than an old golf.

the bimmer on the other hand isnt a current model and most the appeal of a car like this is gone when it becomes old and dated as the new model replaces it and it becomes cheap and falls into the hands of chavs and minicab drivers.

Man of Honour
Whilst I don't disagree with you I fail to see how that has any bearing on whether the car is old or not.

The Golf is, I agree, a future classic and the likes of which we will never see again. But, it is old. Just like a Sierra Cosworth is old.

The BMW is, I agree, simply a BMW. It is nothing special. It isn't the current model, either, and in years to come, it is destined to become old and dated looking, favoured amongst minicab drivers*. But, it's not old. It's only just out of warranty.

* This is partly why I must get E39 ownership out of the way before they become undisputably scabby old Beemers. Whilst examples still remain at the stiff end of 20k this wont happen, but it will one day, and thats when I sell ;)

Associate
Getting back to the origional topic, I can see the appeal of a large saloon (as a large saloon driver myself), but I think that something like a Prelude would be worth a look as its a good motorway car and still fun to drive.

Associate
OP
And I really, really don't like the way they look. I'm fussy too, I have looked at Hondas and I've decided that no matter how good they might be I couldn't live with that styling.

I would possibly consider an 1800 VTi Aerodeck for the stealth value, but I'd still rather have an A4.

Man of Honour
alextgreen said:
I would possibly consider an 1800 VTi Aerodeck for the stealth value, but I'd still rather have an A4.

But you dont have enough money for a really nice A4, but you do have enough money for a really nice Aerodeck...

Soldato
alextgreen said:
And I really, really don't like the way they look. I'm fussy too, I have looked at Hondas and I've decided that no matter how good they might be I couldn't live with that styling.

A guy was selling one for £3,600 with 40k on the clock near me, to give you an idea of pricing. I got him down a lot on that price but didn't buy it (marron in colour). It drove like new and had full honda sh.

They are pretty nice, and you should get a good one for 2.5k-3k. They can/do suffer from a few problems though so check out www.hondarevolutions.com forum.

You will not get a really good audi A4 for under 6k tbh. You can get A6s a fair bit cheaper though. You can buy cheap A4s but there is usually a reason and they can cost you a lot to run and repair. I spent a long time looking at these before I got the S60.

Back
Top Bottom