Time to retire the 1080ti

Associate
OP
UPDATE!!

So i went ahead and purchased everything last week and upgraded over the weekend.
Prior to doing the upgrade i updated the BIOS on my Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 MB to support the 5000 series CPU.
I also uninstalled the GPU drivers with DDU ready for a clean install of the latest drivers for the 4090.

I got:
Corsair RMx Shift 1000w PSU
Ryzen 5800x3D
Gigabyte Windforce V2 4090
Corsair 5000D airflow
3 Be Quiet fans
Thermal Grizzly thermal paste

After the upgrade everything booted and the system detected the new cpu, windows update installed the GPU drivers but it was an older version so i updated to the latest.
There are three points i need to keep an eye on and might require further attention:
1.The CPU temps are a little higher than i expected, nothing dangerous but getting to mid 70s while playing, this could be due to the Kraken X62 being old, water evaporation and such.
2. When first booting to windows my second NVMe drive was not being detected, eventually after a few hours of troubleshooting i found that the 4090 was pressing on it, pulling on the gpu slightly while the PC was off and then booting has resolved the issue, all the data is fine and no corruption, will keep an eye on it.
3. Ocassionally the pc fails to post and hangs prior to the MB splashscreen with just an underscore displayed in the top left of the screen, however other times it boots with no issue and runs perfectly stable while gameing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1.The CPU temps are a little higher than i expected, nothing dangerous but getting to mid 70s while playing, this could be due to the Kraken X62 being old, water evaporation and such.
Mid 70’s with Ryzen is absolutely fine, no issues and is expected. Mid 90’s is when you get a little concerned.
this. i wouldn't be worried
the 5800x3d runs warmer because the x3d sits right between the cpu and the ihs. so the heat diffusion gradient is decreased = warmer cpu

3. Ocassionally the pc fails to post and hangs prior to the MB splashscreen with just an underscore displayed in the top left of the screen, however other times it boots with no issue and runs perfectly stable while gameing.
happened with me before with my 5800x3d rig. needed a bios reset, and higher voltages on the imc
i think it's issues with the memory training

Last edited:
Associate
OP
this. i wouldn't be worried
the 5800x3d runs warmer because the x3d sits right between the cpu and the ihs. so the heat diffusion gradient is decreased = warmer cpu

happened with me before with my 5800x3d rig. needed a bios reset, and higher voltages on the imc
i think it's issues with the memory training
When you say bios reset do you mean reset to defaults or to flash it again?

Man of Honour
reset to defaults
^

flashing will, also of course, reset all to defaults
you should aim to be on the latest bios ofc, but if you're having problems posting the only way i would advise to update the bios is to use the cpu-less flash if your mobo supports it. no way would i try updating the bios on an unstable system. that's asking for trouble

Associate
OP
I will do a reset the next time i encounter it.
The bios is on the latest version as it was on the original previously and it needed updating to support the new CPU.

Soldato
windows update installed the GPU drivers but it was an older version so i updated to the latest.
I would check the Nvidia site for the GPU drivers and not rely on Windows update.

Sometimes these can be a few versions behind but if the versions match you should be fine

Soldato
When first booting to windows my second NVMe drive was not being detected, eventually after a few hours of troubleshooting i found that the 4090 was pressing on it, pulling on the gpu slightly while the PC was off and then booting has resolved the issue, all the data is fine and no corruption, will keep an eye on it.
Are you using the anti sag bracket that came with the 4090?

Associate
OP
I would check the Nvidia site for the GPU drivers and not rely on Windows update.

Sometimes these can be a few versions behind but if the versions match you should be fine
Yeah i did, i think the windows update one was a few releases behind.
Are you using the anti sag bracket that came with the 4090?
Yes, its quite a neat solution to use the motherboard standoffs to help support the gpu, there is very little sag if any.
Besides the windforce v2 is not as big as most from what i understand, its a 2.7 slot card.

Soldato
Yes, its quite a neat solution to use the motherboard standoffs to help support the gpu, there is very little sag if any.
Besides the windforce v2 is not as big as most from what i understand, its a 2.7 slot card.
I thought if you're not it might explain why it was affecting your NVME drive.

Soldato
Updated chipset driver?

Does the anti-sag bracket touch the Any part of the NVME drive or the slot? (maybe try without the bracket)

What drives and how old, take it all was ok before the upgrade?

Associate
OP
Updated chipset driver?

Does the anti-sag bracket touch the Any part of the NVME drive or the slot? (maybe try without the bracket)

What drives and how old, take it all was ok before the upgrade?
Not had a chance to investigate yet, yes everything worked perfectly before the upgrade.
No the anti-sag bracket attaches to two of the motherboard standoffs through the motherboard, however i think there is still some sag.

The NVMe drive is 90% covered by the gpu, you can barely see it while the gpu is installed so i think it might be touching.
Its a Sabrent Rocket 1TB, about 3-4 years old.

My other issue is the pc is failing to post very often, most days when i boot up i have to do something after it fails to post.
I have found once turning the PC off, turning the PSU switch off for 10 secs and then back on and then boot will allow it to post and boot correctly.
I need to spend some time troubleshooting but work is keeping me fairly busy right now.

Associate
Regarding the CPU temps, as others have said that's perfectly normal. However, many 5800X3D's will happily undervolt to -30 on all cores using curve optimiser. Doing so on mine took in-game temps down from 75°c to 65°c, with slightly lower power usage and noise from my AIO as a result.

Here's the guide I used: https://github.com/PrimeO7/How-to-u...X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner/blob/main/README.md

And that's also reminded me I need to do it again since switching to Windows 11 last week!

Last edited:
Soldato
yes everything worked perfectly before the upgrade.
No the anti-sag bracket attaches to two of the motherboard standoffs through the motherboard, however i think there is still some sag.
Looking on reddit, it seems like a lot of people have similar problems with Gigabyte motherboards. (although your problems started after the upgrade)

Can you use something to prop the outside edge of the GPU up?

Are all the PSU cables plugged in firmly at both ends?

Back
Top Bottom