Time to switch to console gaming :)

Associate
Hey,

Due to the increasing cost of GPUs (£1200 for a 2800Ti? LOL no thanks) I've decided to make the jump to console gaming. But the last console I bought was a PS1 (really) so I have no idea about what to get and to be honest really anything about modern consoles.

My understanding is that it's between a PS4 and a XBox One (which are the same price) and then there's the PS4 Pro and the XBox One X (which still run the same games????).

Budget isn't really an issue, my TV is not 4K and I've not intention of getting a new one. I like sports sims (Golf / Ice Hockey / Football) and the usual action AAA's (COD lol).... what's my best option?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses, so it sounds like xbox one is the way to go then I guess, is it better to buy new or second hand? EA access looks great at £20 a year!

@Housey - yeah totally agree, I always prefer FPS games on the PC (for the mouse and keyboard feel) but to be honest it's not worth the cost anymore.

Associate
OP
Ultimately after a lot of youtube watching and playing in stores, I've decided to go with an Xbox One S.
[1] It worked out cheaper and easier to play the titles I want to play (mainly due to EA access).
[2] It worked out cheaper to buy (I could get a new Xbox One S with two games for £210 new with 3 months Xbox Live, a similar package was £70+ for a PS4 slim).
[3] I didn't really like many of the walkthroughs of the PS4 exclusives.
[4] I didn't really prefer one interface over the other.
I didn't realise people where as crazy about playstation vs xbox as they seem to be, both seem like great consoles, surely it's just about the games you want to play and the price at the end of the day?

Associate
OP
So I thought I'd give a little update on how I've found the switch to a console.

Positives:
I massively appreciate getting to game quicker, hold the Xbox symbol on the controller in the living room and I'm gaming within a minute.
I really enjoy that the gaming experience is more normalised, it's in the living room, so you're not off in some side room with your headset on.
I love being able to play games I've missed (especially the sports games)
Some of the games I've played feel better (performance wise) than on my gaming systems. They *should* play better on my gaming setup, but on XBox they feel better (I don't know why or how)

Downsides:
On FPS games I do miss my keyboard and mouse.
The interface frustrates me at times, it's not the 'centre of entertainment' is should be.

Back
Top Bottom