Time to switch to console gaming :)

Associate
Hey,

Due to the increasing cost of GPUs (£1200 for a 2800Ti? LOL no thanks) I've decided to make the jump to console gaming. But the last console I bought was a PS1 (really) so I have no idea about what to get and to be honest really anything about modern consoles.

My understanding is that it's between a PS4 and a XBox One (which are the same price) and then there's the PS4 Pro and the XBox One X (which still run the same games????).

Budget isn't really an issue, my TV is not 4K and I've not intention of getting a new one. I like sports sims (Golf / Ice Hockey / Football) and the usual action AAA's (COD lol).... what's my best option?

Soldato
If you're just after the EA sports stuff and CoD then either would do really. If I were jumping in now I'd definitely go for a Pro or an X as they are more powerful and will last you for longer in terms of newer games pushing the hardware. Check out the exclusives you might have an interest in or go with the one that you know friends have. They are both great consoles.

Man of Honour
I am at the same point really. There is very little these days that is PC specific outside of maybe race sims and city games (like Cities XXL) that I want to play (not that I play much) that isn't on a console. I would like to play games like Battlefield with a keyboard and mouse but fact is the differences in graphics simply don't support the extra money you have to spend and the differences to any normal person are minor.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses, so it sounds like xbox one is the way to go then I guess, is it better to buy new or second hand? EA access looks great at £20 a year!

@Housey - yeah totally agree, I always prefer FPS games on the PC (for the mouse and keyboard feel) but to be honest it's not worth the cost anymore.

Man of Honour
There was always going to be a tipping point and we have pretty much reached it. I have a 980GTX in my PC and it plays everything I want to play on my 27" Dell at Ultra 1440 resolution. I need no more and sure 60 frames would be nice but as I have not had it or used it, I am not someone who plays in anyway with skill and who is therefore easily pleased I see no point spending 1K on a GPU even though for me it's easier than most to splurge 1K on a toy, I don't feel the need.

Caporegime
The other bonus with the Xbone is that you can sub to Game Pass and have 100+ games ready to go. I've been filling my HDD up all day having taken advantage of the £2 for 2 months offer.

Associate
I've been fortunate to own all the consoles of this generation and this is an honest assessment.

Unless there is absolutely something or some reason to own an Xbox then I really wouldn't bother! Research the exclusives on the Playstation and if they're more to your liking then it's a must to buy, I personally felt that out of all the consoles I barely touched my Xbox... Gamepass and EA Access or not, it was great value but just nothing substantially amazing to play on it!

As for X and Pro, again unless you've a burning desire to eventually switch to 4k gaming then I wouldn't bother. Just get a 2nd hand PS4 Slim or Xbox One and they will serve you absolutely fine!

The Switch for me is a must own! Brilliant little console.

Associate
If I was going into consoles now. It would be the switch. PS4 and xb1 are stonking pieces of kit. But theyre still PC style games. Hardware was always Nintys weakness but the switch is just superb.

Man of Honour
If I was going into consoles now. It would be the switch. PS4 and xb1 are stonking pieces of kit. But theyre still PC style games. Hardware was always Nintys weakness but the switch is just superb.

He likes sports games and CoD. While the Switch is by far my favourite console it doesn't suit his needs. Nor does the PS4 as it lacks the EA pass.

Soldato
PS4 has much better exclusives, some essential that will blow your mind coming from a PC.

I agree that it does but that doesn't sound like what the OP is after. Multi-plat shooters and sports games. EA Access all the way. I don't have EA Access because I don't like sports games but for someone who does it is a steal at £20 pa.

Associate
I own both Xbox One and PS4, and I haven't touched my Xbox in a long long time.

The reason for me is because I prefer the Ps4 interface. I always felt my Xbox was trying to sell me more services or products.

I would love a PS4 Pro now, but can't warranty the cost to upgrade vs the benefit.

Associate
I've been fortunate to own all the consoles of this generation and this is an honest assessment.

Unless there is absolutely something or some reason to own an Xbox then I really wouldn't bother! Research the exclusives on the Playstation and if they're more to your liking then it's a must to buy, I personally felt that out of all the consoles I barely touched my Xbox... Gamepass and EA Access or not, it was great value but just nothing substantially amazing to play on it!

As for X and Pro, again unless you've a burning desire to eventually switch to 4k gaming then I wouldn't bother. Just get a 2nd hand PS4 Slim or Xbox One and they will serve you absolutely fine!

The Switch for me is a must own! Brilliant little console.

This

My Xbox One has harldy been touched, i could get away with selling it as new if played it that little, Sony killed microsoft in this generation so PS4 all the way... but as rightly said abover the Switch is the one must own!

Caporegime
I agree that it does but that doesn't sound like what the OP is after. Multi-plat shooters and sports games. EA Access all the way. I don't have EA Access because I don't like sports games but for someone who does it is a steal at £20 pa.

Yeah I always wanted to play last year's fifa when no one is playing it and all the online tournament's etc are non existent!

Soldato
Made the switch years ago and never once regretted it.

Hell, the money you are saving why not buy both an xbox and a ps4

Personally, I prefer the ps4. May sound silly, but it's the easier console to use....plus I love uncharted and TLOU

Associate
This

My Xbox One has harldy been touched, i could get away with selling it as new if played it that little, Sony killed microsoft in this generation so PS4 all the way... but as rightly said abover the Switch is the one must own!

Just sold my X this weekend, can't justify keeping a console that's worth £300+ just to collect dust.

Soldato
I don't usually bother posting in these kind of threads anymore as the Sony reality distortion field is always in full effect.

The X1X is by far the better hardware (faster, quiter, better controller, better integration with other devices), Live simply works better than PSN and the free games are far better. It's cheaper for a Live sub, the Microsoft exclusives are as good as Sony's (Forza / Forza Horizon, Halo, Gears, State of Decay, are all superb) and the 3rd party titles all look better on X1X. EA Access is brilliant for the money and Xbox game pass is also the better offering than PS now.

Back
Top Bottom